1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader angling on its own.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nhgranite, Jan 23, 2011.

1. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

i got a homesteader w7.4 blade. the last two storms the blade when pushing heavy snow or hitting a pile angles to the right on its own. i got the plow used and had it installed at the dealer. the tank was half empty of oil so i added half a bottle of generic atf to fill it. thats all i've done to it other than clean it up and grease the rams. any ideas on whats causing this?

2. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Will it angle when stacking with the plow straight?

3. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

yes. i hit the pile strait and raise it to stack. when i back up its angled to the right.

4. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Did you try stacking it with it angled slightly to the left? Meaning, to see if you're still pushing the plow back to the right. If the plow is not perfectly straight I think your pushing the fluid back out of the shorter cylinder when stacking. Try it with it slightly to the left and see if it goes left. I imagine you're pushing against a decent sized pile of ice/snow since all the storms we've been getting lately.

5. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

yes i tried that. also kept the button pushed angling left and it still angled right. seeing its -20 out right now i may just live with it till spring then go threw it completely.

6. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

sounds like air in the lines.

find a spot where the plow can drop completely (like where an uphill driveway meets the flat road), drop the plow to bottom and angle from side to side- hold it for a moment until the relief valve kicks in.

That should purge the air in a homesteader.

7. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

ill give that a shot. got another storm coming. stacking six feet already. not to bad for what it is.