1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homesteader and back blading

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by frontierboy, Dec 16, 2007.

1. frontierboy

frontierboy Junior Member
    from ct

Hey everyone,
    Im new to plowing and i got a 7'4" homesteader plow on my nissan frontier. Now Is it normal for the plow to ride up like an inch when back blading or do in need to adjust the scrape lock?? Also there is about and inch or so of up and down play with frame and the mount, is that normal ? the plow is a few years old and bought second hand.. Any advice would be appreciated !!!

2. MikeD

MikeD Junior Member

frontierboy - backdragging

Hey, I am new to plowing as well however it is my understanding that what your describing is a plow weight / down pressure issue. Light duty plows give up weight for the ability to be used on lighter duty trucks. Sorry I can't tell you how to resolve it. Some plow manufacturers have down pressure kits ! good luck

3. frontierboy

from ct

Thanks mike, I know that the plow has something called scape lock. When the plow is dropped, and if i lift up on the plow frame, removing all the slack, the hydrolics lock down the blade. That helps, but its a pain in the a@# getting out of the truck everytime..

4. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Is the plow solid to the left or right when you push against it? The way these plows sit on the truck, it can be hard to purge all of the air from the rams. I had to hang mine over a drop off to get the lines at the highest point and then raise/lower it a few times to get all the air out. Might not be your problem but worth a shot.

5. frontierboy

from ct

yeah its sold left to right, it only move if i hit a sold pile of snow or 6+ inches.. Plowing forward is not the problem, just when back drag it, in front of garages. If your plow is down on the ground,is there still play on the plow frame and where it mounts?

6. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I have very little play once all the air was purged out of the rams. Scrapelock works as advertised.

7. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I downloaded the manual and there is a section on adjusting the scrape lock pressure. Do you have the manual? If so, see page 24.

Although the scrape lock system comes preset from
    the factory, it may be adjusted if needed. The relief
    valve stem in the top of the lift ram adjusts this setting.

1. Attach the plow to the vehicle.
    2. Raise and lower the blade several times to purge
    air from the lift ram.
    NOTE: If blade will not raise or raises too slowly,
    the setting is too high. Decrease the setting until
    blade will raise easily. Likewise, if backdrag
    performance has decreased, the setting is too low.
    Increase the setting until optimal backdrag
    performance is reached.
    3. The recommended pressure setting is
    1000–1200 psi. To check the pressure setting,
    install a T-fitting with a pressure gauge in the rodend
    hydraulic line, and observe the pressure
    reading as the blade is raised. If a pressure gauge
    is not available, increase the scrape lock setting
    as high as possible without severely limiting the
    blade raise speed.
    4. To gain access to the relief valve stem, remove
    the 1/2" x 3" cap screw that attaches the lift ram to
    the top of the plow gear, and remove the plug
    covering the slotted head of the relief valve stem.
    5. Adjust the scrape lock pressure setting by using a
    slotted-head screwdriver. Turn the relief valve
    stem IN (clockwise) to increase the scrape lock
    pressure; turn the relief valve stem OUT
    (counterclockwise) to decrease it.
    NOTE: Adjustments should be made in 1/8-turn
    increments.
    6. Reattach the lift ram to the plow gear after
    adjustment.
    7. Remove the 1/2" x 3" cap screw that attaches the
    lift ram to the top of the plow gear, reinstall the plug
    over the relief valve stem, and reattach the lift ram

If the air is purged and the pressure set correctly, I don't know why you're having so much play in the mount. You'll just have to look it over while moving it around to see where the play is coming from.

8. frontierboy

from ct

i will try adjusting the scrape lock a little more, but i thought it didnt give any down pressure, just locks the blade at the lowest point. When i drop the blade down and lift up on the frame where the lights are mounted, the ram locks down and i loose all the play. I looked at where the frame piviots and noticed that the holes are ablong up to down. are yours the same??

9. frontierboy

from ct

back drag

The holes that are ablong are on the A frame, the others on the plow gear frame are fine
    http://www.homesteaderplows.com/pdf/27551.03_012307.pdf

10. xl1200c

xl1200c Junior Member
    from nj

I have a suburbanite and the scrape lock works great on level ground. Sometimes I plow forward a few inches then back drag to make shore the plow is on the ground. This little plow is really great.

11. frontierboy

from ct

I helped going forward and backing up likes you said and that seems to help out alot, but there is still some play. Besides back draging the plow works great.

12. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I don't remember ANY holes being oblong. I'll have to look at it tonight when I get home. If those holes got wallowed out, it might be obvious looking at the circumference- it would be rolled into a ridge along the edge.

13. frontierboy

from ct

yeah i noted a the hole is a little wallowed out towards the front. I might have my freind fix it with the mig, later this week. That might help out too

14. IAMSPIN

IAMSPIN Junior Member

back blading with a homesteader

Hello everyone, I just had a Homesteader installed on my 2006 Avalanche. When I try to back blade driveways, the blade just rides on top of the snow without good results. On the hand held controller, should I hold it down for float mode or just drop the blade with no float mode ? Any ideas with what would help me with the back blading ?

Thanks !

15. frontierboy

from ct

Once, you press it to go down and it hits the ground your in float mode with the scrape lock feature is activated. if you lift it up a hair or turn if off then on then it cancels float mode. Your probley having the same problem as mine. Drop you blade, physcally see how high you can pick up the blade. then lift up on the frame where the lights are located. Once you do that, you will noticed that hydrolic ram locks down and removes slack. I learned from an earlier post, that if you go forward like a foot then backdrag, this will get ride of any slack.. Try it and let me know. How old is your plow??

16. IAMSPIN

IAMSPIN Junior Member

Thanks , I'll give it a try. My plow is just a week old. I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone with a Fisher LD plow.

17. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

If you hold the down button for at least 3/4 of a second, the hydraulics will go into float mode. A green light should illuminate on the controller indicating it is in float mode. The blade will then follow the contours of the ground.

If you press the down button until the blade hits the ground and then release, the blade will be locked in that position (the float mode light will not be on). This is the mode I use for back dragging snow.

18. frontierboy

from ct

Mr big, if you dont have the fisher stick and the regular joy, there is no green light on it how can you tell??

19. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

http://www.homesteaderplows.com/pdf/27817_061202.pdf

Page 2 says it similar to your prior post. Lower automatically goes into float mode. You have to bump the raise to cancel float and lock the blade or simply turn off the controller. At least that's my interpretation.

20. plow150

plow150 Member

I just lower the blade to the ground, then "tap" the joystick UP to CANCEL FLOAT and lock blade in place for backdragging. What's all this stuff about getting out of the truck and lifting the blade & plowgear? Sounds like too much work...