1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader - 6' 8" or 7' 4" Quick Need Advice

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Captain, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Ok, I had the 6' 8" Homesteader installed on November 1st. I have not used it yet.

When the blade is swung left or right it is barely wider than my truck. I called the dealer today because I've been questioning the width ever since I bought the plow.

The dealer says most Explorers have 6' 8" mounted on them and they are happy.

Once I use the 6' 8" I own it for good. Dealer says he is willing to swap to a 7' 4" if I wish. What do you guys as the experts recommend.

Here is the truck with the 6' 8" mounted:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

keep what you got. I think your explorer couldn't take the 7-4''. What kinda work are you doing ( driveways, lots, im guessing personal driveways and friends)? but i wouldn't put the strain on ur truck. How much did you pay for that? i Might get one and slap it on a jeep.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I have 15 driveways accounts - I have a plenty of capacity weight wise to take the 7'4". The minimum requirement for the 7'4" is 5840 and I have 5965.

It was $3300 installed - he'll upgrade me to a 7'4" blade for $125 including labor. I have to decide by 4:00PM today though.

That's why I'm asking the experts.

4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

get the 7.4....you'll be happy and better off....:drinkup:

5. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

Well if you have 15 accounts and your truck can take it then you should go with the 7-4''. you could even do small commercial with a 7-4''. And its not much more money which is a plus. But try to round up some small parking lots. Alot more money!!

6. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I did a couple of small commercial lots for a few years. Found it was beating the truck up, and it was better suited for people with the right equipment.

I do just fine with the driveways and I'm able to average over $100/hour.

I've actually given away 4 new accounts to my neighbor who plows as he was better equipped to handle them.

7. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Here are a couple of more facts that are making me want to upgrade to the 7'4"

My truck is 72" wide.

The 6' 8" plow at full swing has a 70" plow width.

The 7' 4" plow at full swing has a 80" plow width.

Still looking for the opinions of the experts here.

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Without question I'd go with the bigger plow.

9. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Well, it's 6:35 PM. You did go with the 7'4" correct?

10. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Yep - called him at 4:00 and told him I'll be dropping the truck off at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

Will be nice to have the extra 4" on each side.

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get the 7'4'' you will be much happier JMO.

12. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

I would have gone with larger blade too.
    Good choice

13. Captain

Captain Senior Member

7' 4" is installed now. Yes I'm much happier. When I had the 6' 8" installed I was settling and saying "good enough". It was what the dealer had recommended.

Even he said this morning after the install that the 7' 4" looked good and would be fine.

At the very least I'm done doubting myself.

Thanks for the opinions - you were a great help.

Let it Snow!!!!!

14. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

And the dealer will be happy telling you that all your front end parts are no longer covered by warranty. Did you check weight difference

15. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Yes - the 7'4" weighs in at 30lbs more than the 6'8". My truck meets all the weight requirements (the minimum requirement for the 7'4" is 5840 and I have 5965), to be able to carry the 7'4".

I checked that before I thought of upgrading.

Right now when I mount the plow and lift it, the front end drops less than 1/2", closer to 1/4" (I actually took the time to measure with a tape measure). The Eddie Bauer edition has a great front end.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  16. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I have 2 jeeps with a 6' 8" and a 7 '4", same plow you'll be fine. Keep an eye on those bottom carriage bolts , they like to loosen and run away.

17. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Exactly which bolts are those??? I'll go out and Loctite them right now.

18. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I didn't have any bolt issues... checked it out this fall and everything is the same as when I got it and put it away. Only issue I had was I destroyed a trip spring rubber, dealer mailed me a new one. Had it the next day even from UPS. Also, I bent the trip spring bar but hasn't gotten worse, if it does I'm going to the local steel yard to get some heavy wall 3/4 tube to swap it out. Only issues I had, plow has done well.