1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner or Small Truck Plows

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Michaelefd, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Hi All
    New to plowing. I own a 2007 Ford Explorer Sports Trac, and I was thinking of making use of it to plow my long 250' driveway and maybe some neighbors driveways to make a little money nothing crazy.
    Looking at some plows online and pricing them, I've checked into, Fisher Homesteader, Meyer Home Plow, Sno-away, Snow Bear and a couple of others. Most of there weight seems to be about the same 250 lbs.
    I'm leaning toward the Fisher Homesteader due to, wireless remote (joystick available) and price $3,650.00
    Most of the others due not have total control from inside the truck like the Fisher.

If anyone has any input I'd like to see if anyway has used it or tried any of the plows mentioned.
    thanks
    Michael -Massachusetts

2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

There is a whole section dedicated to homeowner or non-commercial plowing and equipment. You might want to ask a moderator to move this thread there where you'll have a better response.

3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'd also think long and hard about doing any plowing outside of your own drive.....you'd want appropriate insurance, which would likely not be justifiable with the extra money you could make.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

For $3650.oo I would find a real good used BOSS V for driveways.

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I would pay to see that hanging off an exploder sport track. It may be just a bit over the axle capacity. :laughing:

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

im thinking a boss v would be too much plow for that suv

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When people ask about a plow I assume they know the riggers of what plowing consists of. I am not a ford person and only really know what trucks they have. If someone is willing to use a oversized riding lawn mower to plow with then they may as well go all the way.

If it looks or is compared to the GEO Tracker in anyway then I change my suggestion.

Go find a riding mower and put a 42" blade on it. You will save in repair costs and frustrations.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Boss, Fisher, Meyer, Snoway all make homeowner plows.

on the top of this page click on the icon for each of the plow makers (except Snoway) they all have "find a plow for your truck" section

9. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

I've looked into a lawn mower plow and snow thrower but the snow thrower is about $2,000 not sure about the plow. I don't think it will do what I need it to and I'd be out there as long as I am now with my simplicity. At least with the plow I can do a few small driveways and make a little money.
    I just looked into the stainless steal snow dogg for the Explorer Sports Trac and the price is comparable to the Fisher Homesteader and I think it may be made a little better thah the Homesteader. The cost is only $60 more at $3,710.
    Anyone know about Snow-Dogg Plows?

10. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Solid advice that specifically applies to the vehicle in question. Now I know who to go to for all the answers. :rolleyes:

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ain't that cute. The newb growing up to be a troll. :rolleyes:

12. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

vplow??? on an explorer sport trac??? ok back up i recommend in the boss area a 7 foot sport duty

13. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Are you always an asshat or just with new forum members?

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

After looking at the vehicle in question. Which I hardly ever waste my time doing. I suggest just taking the money and looking for a old used truck with a plow already on it.

I doubt BOSS makes a mount available for it since it is not listed there at all. The vehicle in question is not made for any type of plow if you want a honest opine.

15. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

tubby i would say he is and a sheltered one at that if he doesnt know what a ford explorer is its a bird its a plane it super plower oh wait its just REAPER nevermind

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Always. :mechanic:

Are you always a troll or only to others giving a honest response that has nothing to do with you?

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yes very sheltered. Live above a gas station where I hack the pay phone line for INTERNET and AOL!!!1123elevintytwelve!!!!!!!

I try to avoid clogging up my knowledge of any thing ford.

18. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Looked into the Boss. I liked it but they don't make a bracket for my truck. Still considering the SnowDogg, MD68 which seems to be well made.

19. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Reaper, you have to much time on your hands and probably socially inadaquate. there must be a good site for someone like you to go play on.

20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I'd recommend www.LawnSite.com. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: