1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner or Personal Plows

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Michaelefd, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Hi All
    New to plowing. I own a 2007 Ford Explorer Sports Trac, and I was thinking of making use of it to plow my long 250' driveway and maybe some neighbors driveways to make a little money nothing crazy.
    Looking at some plows online and pricing them, I've checked into, Fisher Homesteader, Meyer Home Plow, Sno-away, Snow Bear and a couple of others. Most of there weight seems to be about the same 250 lbs.
    I'm leaning toward the Fisher Homesteader due to, wireless remote (joystick available) and price $3,650.00
    Most of the others due not have total control from inside the truck like the Fisher.

If anyone has any input I'd like to see if anyway has used it or tried any of the plows mentioned.
    thanks
    Michael -Massachusetts

2. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

seems like alot of money for a light wieght plow maybe Im wrong , get a couple prices

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well the Snoway does and as you mentioned it has wireless remote available as well as down pressure, a 22" moldboard and the EIS system for the lighting. EIS had no switches relays or high dollar Iso-modules to go bad.

4. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Snow Dogg Vs Fisher Homesteader

Sno-aways are to much and down pressure from talking to people is a little overrated. The Fisher Homesteader does come with a wireless remote, I have checked and for the most part all others don;t have total control for smaller plows.
    I am now looking into the Snow-Dogg, seems like a great plow only $60.00 more and seems to be built stronger than the Homesteader.
    Does anyone have or have info on the MD 68 SnowDogg?

5. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Well i have the snowdogg on my 05 ranger.It IS A great plow for the money.I bought mine because the homesteader looked a little weak i thought for money.I have seen a guy around where i live with one on f150 and it looks like it does a great job.But what i can see it trips easy .The snow dog is a great plow for money ,If it was me and your only going to do a few just look at homesteader again or the curtis .The fisher is a lot lighter for you truck.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Double check on that wireless:cool:

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, you are better off with the Snow Dogg. The Homesteader is a "tinker toy" IMO.

8. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Thanks, I think for the price the SnonDogg is a good deal. Fisher makes a good plow but in the case of the Homestaeader looks like there are better options.

Michael

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher makes a realy good plow besides the Homesteader. They should have never stoped making small steel plows.

10. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

I ordered the MD68 Snowdogg today they should be installing it Thursday. Got an even better deal at a place in NH for $3,300 installed. The only other issue was a lift kit. There isn't many made for the 2007 explorer sports trac, found one for $285.00 made by Truxx. Its a front and back lift kit. Anyone know how it will effect the ride or if I even need them?
    thanks

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You are getting your lift kit installed before the plow aren't you?

12. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

The shop I'm having the plow installed is also doing the lift kit. So it will be installed before the plow. Do you think lift kits are needed on small suv's like mine? They changed the design of the fram on my 2007 sports trac. This was the first year of the change.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

No, I wouldn't waste the money unless you are going to go off road. Why have it lifted year round (wasting gas and ride comfort) when you'll only have the plow on during storms a few months a year?

Put some weight against the tailgate and you'll be fine.

14. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

hey, the shop ordered it but not installed yet. The problem is that the Explorer Sports Trac sits so low normally, with the plow on it and driving sometimes on the highway I think the front end will be dragging. The owner of the shop said most people add it on and if they don't there back soon after to install on.
    I hear you about the ride and gas though, I think I'll try it out and if I hate them I'll have them removed.

15. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

Sounds a little fishy to me. I run an S10 Blazer (comparable to your Explorer) with a Homesteader and have no problems with front end clearance. Are you sure the shop isn't trying to make a little extra money from you.

Don't know about the wireless remote with the Homesteader. I do know that it wasn't offered a couple years ago when I bought mine.

Edit: I just took a look at the Truxx leveling kit for your Explorer Sports Trac. It looks like it's just a mount for the torsion bar. Before you spend the extra money, crawl under your rig and turn up the stock bars. I'll bet you've got some to play with, you may not need the new mounts.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  16. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I have a Homesteader on my 2004 Explorer - you should't need the lift kit. My front end doesn't move more than maybe a 1/4" when I lift my blade and I have plenty of clearance.

Make sure you put the proper ballast in the back to offset the plow. I use 50lb bags of stone.

17. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

with a 250lb plow i would have to disagree with you that dp is overrated. when the snow is wet and heavy the plow will go right over the topof the snow thus not moving as much. im experincing this in wet snow with a 700lb plow!

18. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Hey
    thanks for all the import. I ended up getting the Snowdogg MD68 installed Thursday. I like it a lot, from no experiance anyway. It looks like a solid plow, weighs more than the Homesteader almost 400 lbs and is all stainless steel.
    I did put in the Truxx lift kit, I just thought the extra height could not hurt, the Explorer Sports trac seems lower than other trucks.
    I was impressed with way the truck lifted the plow and drove the 15 or so miles back home, I can not really feel the lift kid while riding.so even thou it cost me some more money I'm happy to have the little extra clearence. I did not have a chance to read the replys on here till now so maybe would have reconsidered but its done now so no sense 2nd guessing as long as its not effecting my ride.
    I will try and take pictures in the next few days and post them, thanks again for the help.

19. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Pictures or it didn't happen.

20. Michaelefd

Michaelefd Junior Member

Just what advice are you talking about? I'm definitely not giving anyone advice just sharing and learning from other posts . If you are referring to the life kit, I guess it just depends who you talk to, I did not have enough experience on my own, just from reading post on here and talking to a couple of different installers about them I decided to add it. If two different mechanics from two different shops are wrong and others on here who have installed lift kits then it does not give you much to go on.