1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Walk behind Sprayer Work-n-Progress....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plow man Foster, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

OK well couple nights ago i was in a sub then passed a house where they had this spreader sitting next to their trash....I dont make it a habit of bringing home trash but i saw potential in this one!

Only problem with it was a little chips or plastic had been torn off and the hopper open and close mech. had been rusted close.
    sprayed a little WD-40 couple hits with the hammer and it was good!

added a sprayer to it (already had in the garage)
    mounted it all up and tried it out works pretty well!
    I have the banner tip on it...figured the straight-shot tip would be a PITA!
    Works well the ban of liquid is about 1ft wide maybe a little more
    prob. gonna put a electric pump on it so we dont have to pump it up but really the air stays in the tank for quite a distance
    Also once i get a pump im going to add another nozzle or so this way i can maximize liquid flow!

All i gotta do is kick the lever up and it stays on!
    once i get a pump all im gonna have to do is flip a switch!
    *I taped off the air release so now it holds a ton of air figured i didnt need a quick release of air I'll just unscrew the cap!*\

** All the liquid on my garage floor is water from the cars....

I know it looks bootleg but it works haha

sprayer1.jpg

sprayer2.jpg

sprayer3.jpg

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

just make a gravity system. honestly whats the point to having a pump? just more to go wrong

or buy a danville express, remove the roller and drill the holes bigger

4. Plow man Foster

Well................................
    I have changed the setup again!
    Now i have a 3-4ft of 1/4 or 1/2" PVC with the hose going into that... (with holes in it)

i have to flip the container over for it to come out.
    but my problem now is it only comes out the center 5 holes the bar is level
    why is that anyone know?

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

What size are those 5 holes?

6. Plow man Foster

i wanna say like 1/16 pretty small!
    just drilled some bigger ones on each side still no luck!
    I thing i might have part of the pipe clogged..... :dizzy: with pvc from drilling the wholes or something!
    even though i blew it out!

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

My best guess with out seeing a picture of your rig, based on the knowledge from tests on a truck boom

The total size of your holes. Is 1/16. Each times x

If you have a 1/4 inch boom diameter the very most it will feed is 1/4 inch. So your holes are 1/16 x 5 (that are currently working) = 5/16. Which is slightly larger than the 1/4 boom. See what's happening is that your boom creates a size restriction, and only so much will flow down that piple.

For those building a gravity system of any kind, I would do these steps in order

Using water drill some 1/8 holes in a pipe at random distances to pick distance spacing between holes that you like, once you figure out the spacing, do the math for how many holes you are going to need

2. Drill 3 holes In a separate peace of pipe. Start small, do the math on how fast you want to drive or walk, and using the actual liquid you are going to apply, let it drain into a bucket for 1 min, and drill the holes larger until you reach the right application rate

3. Total up the size of all your holes...example 12 holes 1/8 equals 1.5 inches, and their fore the smallest part of your boom or the valve or the hoses feeding it must be greater than the sum of your holes, in this case 1.5 inches. Don't go over board because most boom designs will allow product to leak out product even after the valve is closed. The larger the boom the more product will be wasted.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

If your feeding with a single hose,.... Using the above example,

Feed the boom from a single hose or pipe in to a tee fitting. In this case I would use a 2 inch , then after the tee, on each side I would reduce the size of the boom down to 3/4 since that's half of 1.5. Each mini boom then has to feed 6 holes which equals 3/4. So they get the proper amount of liquid with out making the boom really big

9. Plow man Foster

Thanks i will try it when i get a chance.
    But i dont know i may get this utility pump off ebay and spray a couple sidewalks with that but idk yet!