1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Ultramount Plow Lock (Pics)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 07F-250V10, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Some pictures of my homemade Ultramount plow lock. Makes it pretty hard to be stolen if you have an Ultramount on your truck and you want to hook it up and run off with it

photo 1 (2).JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3 (2).JPG

photo 4.JPG

2. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

cut the lock with any old pair of bolt cutters wesport

only the strongest high end padlocks can resist even the cheapest of bolt cutters.

It'll slow down a "smash n grab" but anyone with a truck looking to steal a plow would probably have a set of bolt cutters

3. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Besides the electronic lockout in Ultramounts, you can use a trailer hitcher receiver lock through the frame so that the plow can't be latched on.

4. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Later i will post the two locks i have for my ultramount plow and receivers.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

use a brinks lock bolt cutters dont like them

6. snowish10

This is my lock, its a straight trailer lock with a few washers. One picture is with the stands down, ones with the stands up if the plow is on the truck and the lock it self. I also have a bolt and locking nut through my receivers so its harder to take them off the truck.

Let me know what you think about this.

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG

photo.JPG

7. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

I never said it wasnt possible to steal it still. This is just to deter someone from seeing a plow thats out in the open and unprotected so they could steal it when nobodys home. Yes you could go through the trouble of cutting the lock off, but they are a lot less likely to steal it if they have to do that. You would have to have the biggest pair of bolt cutters to cut that lock. Its 1/2 in. thick

As for the other plow lock posted its quick easy and cheap but you can still hook the plow up to your truck because the plow is able to slide into the receiver still. You could still drive off with it on the truck without locking the stands

8. snowish10

True, well for me i lock my plow on my truck, but other wise it sits in a garage so i don't have to deal with that. But that's a good idea to lock your plow.

9. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Being able to put your plow in the garage would be really nice. Unfortunatly i cant do that. My plow just sits in the driveway.....and i live on a main road so literally thousands of people a day see my plow sitting in my driveway

10. snowish10

Ahh, that would make sense. Good luck with your lock thing you made.

11. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

what worries me about locking plows is that you yourself might not be able to get into it if needed.

I have enough problems with locking bobcat doors and them getting glazed in ice and we can't get into them.

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Fluid film is your friend. I shoot my lock full every time I use it.

13. snowish10

true, a good thing is to see if you cam get a piece of rubber or plastic to cover the lock, i have another idea that i have at home ill put it up when i get home

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Something else to think about, block it in with another car if you have one available.