1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Skid Steer Blade and QA specs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Grisi24, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I really want to make my own skid steer plow and add the features that I want. I have a few questions however:

What is the best way to go with down pressure? I want to make the plow semi rigid like on a spring or coil over strut... Or just make it hang on a chain? Ideas?

And for all you guys with skid steer plows two things... What are the specs for the skid QA plate. I rent my skid steer every year and do not have the bucket yet to measure.

The other question is I am getting a good condition Curtis 8' plow that I am going to break down and clean and repaint but I was thinking about putting removable sides to make it a box blade as well... Ideas, Comments?

I just want to hear what works well from everyone that uses them. I have done many projects like this before so that doesn't scare me. I also have read about the relief valves and pressure reducers and Yes they will be included!:cool:

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i would just buy the premade plate that you weld on the back of a bucket to start with I got one for $105 and its a lot easier than trying to build that part

the weight of the plow should be enough i dont think you need a coil spring but i am not sure what you had in mind

i just set up a plow for my skiddy and made it optional chain lift or it can be pinned solid so i can use it whochever works better for the situation

heres a link there a few pics

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68256

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Crete, great job. That looks very strong and should work good. I'm going to be building a box blade out of a used 8' western (sometime)

The chain and pin option is nice. I always thought that they were only direct connected, there by not having any "float" and using the float feature of the skid steer.

Good Luck, grisi. I'm sure those pics helped.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

That will help greatly! I am getting the old blade this week and I will keep you up todate with the construction and I think I am going to draw it all out in CAD and I will put them on here if anyone has a use for them..

I know I need two parts.. the relief valve and the cushion cross-over... Part numbers or where to get them anyone?

6. cretebaby

should be one piece and try Force America

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A freind of mine riged an old 9' Fisher blade on his JD 240. And for down preasure I would just push it down by picking the front tires off the ground a little.

8. cretebaby

its a little more complicated than that

9. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

10. cretebaby

:confused:what do you need an electric control block for

11. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

12. cretebaby

you only need one pair

you shouldnt need any switches just to run a 2 way plow

13. cretebaby

14. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Can I just hook each cylinder to each connection on the skid... I thought I could at first but then I have seen Boss and others using a control box

15. cretebaby

yes but then you wont have any protection if you hit something some guys on here say you dont need it but for a $150 it is well worth it

the valve in your link is where the 2 hoses will go to

16. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

17. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I take it the orifices are there to reduce flow?

18. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

19. cretebaby

yes sir:nod:

20. cretebaby