1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade pre-wet system for tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Koehler59, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Koehler59

Koehler59 Junior Member
    from 60468

Looking to make a pre wet system for a western 1000 tailgate spreader. Or any spreader. Im not to willing to shell out over 1000 bucks to buy the snow ex pre wetter so if anybody has any pictures of there or any idea post them. Anything will help! Looking at an ATV sprayer for a tank maybe.
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I think most pre wetting is done at 6-9 gallons per ton range - at 9/ton a 600# spreader needs 2.5 gallon of liquid - pretty close to the rate of discharge of a back pack sprayer...

5 gallon buckets with a small bilge pump plumbed back to some sort of jetting nozzle..........
  3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Here is one I made on my old little buyers spreader. It worked great ,really makes things melt fast. I used a 35 gallon tank and 2 gallon per minute pump from tsc. I had one nozzle that shot at the end of the spinner and 2 that made a fan pattern behind it.

The 2 outter fan nozzles work great not at just getting the salt off the spinner wet but actually wetting the ground. I would stop at the entrance of the lot and leave a puddle of liquid. It worked great the cars would just spread it around speeding things up even more. At first I just hooked power right to the terminals on the spreader motor. I eventually ran it off of an up fitter switch.