1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade plow wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by killed300ex, Dec 11, 2005.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Wondering if anyone had tried to make their own plow wings?. I would like to do it but am looking for some ideas on how to do it from someone who has already done it. How did you mount them? what did you use for an edge? ect.. Also any tips or tricks that you had.
    Thanks
    Evan

2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I use Pro Wings but one of my subs uses box style wings that he built himself, they look great. Lots of good ideas went into them. I'll snap some pictures next time we are out for you to see how he mounted them. I think he only drilled 2 holes in the plow itself, none in the moldboard. Really is a time saver for us.

3. killed300ex

thanks i am deffinitly interested in how he mounted them. I am trying to widen the plow since it is only 7 1/2 on a 3/4 ton and i get runover on all my corners. But i am going to try to do it without drilling any holes in the moldboard.
    Evan

4. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Home made wings I Made..Em

Hi all ,nothings impossible it just takes longer.I made a custom set wings out of 3/16 ich plate steel. hey cardboard templates,somelses wings for a pattern and diagram.Mine bolt on with 3/4 inch stainless steel bolts.And the mounting brakets are made out 2 1/2 inch by 3/8 inch thick angle iron.Mine uses the regular rubber blocks that are used on them so called store bought por wings.OOPs did i spell that corectly.Mine are also reinforced on the basck side with angle iron.I wisk i could sent you all a picture.Also these are painted a brigt color with reflective tape. Welded wrenched. p.s. if a socket wrench breaks weld it...:redbounce

5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i know this is gonna sound dumb ... but i have seen these things bolted on snow plows ... now whats happens if your out plowin a parking lot .. and you hit something .. and your blade trips forward ????? ... are these things designed for that ??

6. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

i made a custom set of wings a couple of years ago, WOW they worked great, they took me a while to construct them, but they were beefy, i used an old western blade and cut the shape i wanted and used recieve hitch to connect them ( i had used angle iron the first year and bent them) i used 2 inch trailer hitch recieve and welded it on the plow and used the same rectangleuar tubing so they slid on and off. I will take some pics whe i get a chance

7. killed300ex

Dont know how they work on a full trip blade but i have a fisher that only has a trip edge. There should be nothing that gets in the way of that tripping as normal.
    Thanks for the ideas i think i am getting closer to figuring out how i want to do this.
    Evan

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, I think that they are cheap enough just to buy.:nod: