1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Plow Wings!

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by SportsmanJay, Dec 13, 2010.

1. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone, I'm new here! I've been lurking for a couple weeks now and reading through a lot of threads and got some great ideas. This is my first year plowing with an atv, and so far I'd have to say I like it a lot better than with the old busted up truck. I only do my own driveway, which is about 5 cars wide and 3 1/2 cars deep. I've noticed this past week that my plow needed a top snow deflector, as well as wings to catch the over spill of snow. The wings are made from some 1/4" diamond plate steel I had laying around the garage and bolt on with two 1/2" bolts through the back of the plow. The bottom 3" of them are 1/4" rubber so if it trips I won't hurt anything. Here are a couple pics so you can all see, hope you enjoy and thank you all for some good ideas!

2. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Some more pics.

3. Outty330

Outty330 Member

Welcome to the site Sportsman! wings look good. :nod:
  4. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

if you want to make another set and send them my way I'd be more than happy to send you some $$
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hey nice job, and have a set for my Griz in the works. I'm going with the same way ProWings mount so removing them is a snap when the width isn't needed.
    One thing you may want to consider is adding some taper to the wings much like what you see on the ones for a pick up plow. I say this because when my CC trips it folds over pretty good and with your approach the tips of the wings would take a pretty good hit.
    Just my $.02.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

nice fab work, i just extended mine also, should of done it years ago, but then i wouldn't of had as many hours playowing, its a new word haha

i was gonna cope mine also but mines a vee and didn't think it would be feasible to do.

mine is 69'' wide now and what a difference. i can get a big pile in front of her now.

i want to put mesh on the top to make it taller. :mechanic:
  7. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Thanks guys, the wings work great! I've had the chance to test them out over the past week and wow what a difference! IPLOWSNO- what would the mesh do for you on the top? Wouldn't the snow just go right through it? I hear ya about wanting to make it taller, I wish it was about 2 foot tall instead of 16".... Anything over 6-8" tends to come over the top a little, even with the rubber flap.

well i want it taller yet i dont want it heavier, plexi will break with me plowing , so i figure the snow will start packing as it gets high enough and should just roll off ,

it all depends on the snow if its fluffy dry snow yea it will go thru however i get lake effect so it is usually more packy imo.
  9. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

I am serious if you are up to it, let me know
  10. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Nah, I can't. I would never get out of them what I got into them. I'm a finish carpenter, so making stuff comes easy to me, the problem is I don't really have the tools to be working with metal, so it takes me forever!! If I had the correct tools I could probably whip a set of them up in a few hours, but I can't. Sorry man, get creative!

yea a wood shop only goes so far with metal lol
  12. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

like the wings,looking at doing the same for my plow
  13. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Freakin' Badazz!!!
  14. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

What angle are the wings? I made a set, but think they are too steep. At full angle are your wings at least 90 degrees to the quad? I guess anything steeper would not allow snow to trail off.
  15. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Not 100% sure of the angle but yes, at full angle they are 90* to the quad. I usually never plow at full angle though, I find that it works best for me to plow at 1/2 full angle and yes, the snow still rolls off the edge just fine even though the wing is more less acting like a cup. Hope that makes sense.
  16. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

That does help, Thanks for the pictures, I copied your design.
    Now if it would ever snow............