1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Plow wing question??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lehmand1, Feb 15, 2014.

1. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Been a member here awhie but dont frequent too often. Tractorbynet takes enough time from my life:dizzy: I asked there, but I figured I'd get some better answers here.

I am re-skinning a meyer C8.5. Figure I am on borrowed time using my ST7.5 with wings in front of my 11,000# Dodge 3500. I dont like the wings on that plow. They are homemade but a pro-wing knock-off. Someone that plows with us has a boss and boss wings that are contoured. And seems to windrow so much better.

So I am making a set. But dont want to go overkill and be really heavy. But dont want them to fold up either.

Here are some pics of where I am at so far. The skin and back ribs are 11ga (1/8"). The flat strip across the top is 1/4" x 1.5" and the bottom is 1/4" x 2". The main pipe is 2" seamless heavywall tube, that transitions to 2x2x1/4 square tube. (all I had to make it work.) The top is 3/4" HW pipe welded into the plow rib with a 3/4" solid bar attached through the wing rib and attached to the far wing rib.

Pics are worth 1000 words.

I am wondering if I should add two diagonal ribs where I have markered it in red?? Or something else? Or leave as is?

Open to suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I don't think you need them but I would do them just to be safe and they will look cool.
  3. loyjms

loyjms Member

I wouldn't think you would have any issues but it never hurts to go a little extra if you have the time and material. I made mine out of plate with no ribs like Mossman did and haven't had any issues.
  4. LakeCountySnow

LakeCountySnow Junior Member

All depends on the weight of the wings already. We run homemade wings but use a heavy framework and conveyor belt for a moldboard with larges washer trailer door bolts. We have found that if the wing has alot of movement and wiggle there is more flex as well, and therefore alot more bending. If it was me I would if they weren't already too heavy.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Overbuild. That's my motto. Steel and time is cheap compared to having to rebuild them a second or third time.
  6. H.M.R

H.M.R Junior Member

i would make the ribs a little beefier or atleast add somw gussets. Loke rc said over build it now vs later when you need it.