1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homemade plow... I know it's B.A.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Kale Lawn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

Today I finished my "poor man's" snow plow. I know there are a lot of threads on here about plowing, and I know we all wish we could have a snow plow for 4-5 months out of the year. We all know they can be expensive some topping out at $6,500! After searching craigslist and finding nothing but old beat up plows with holes and bad pumps for $2,000 I decided to make one that was cheap, required no mounting hardware, and no extensive electrical wiring! HOW? You ask? Hitch N' Plow!

This adapter ($174 shipped) allows you to attach any Cat 1. Three point hitch to any vehicle with a 2" reciever. As long as the implement (scraper) weighs less than 500lbs.

I got the winch from Harbor Freight and was on sale for $49.99. The blade I got from the local junk yard for $110.. So.. for a whooping $335 I have a 8' plow!

If you get past the fact of how hillbilly or redneck it looks, it's actually a pretty cool deal for your own drive and maybe the neighbors. I think my winch is a little on the weak side for the blade I found.. but I wanted an 8' clearing path. Installation is a breeze with just one 12volt source and a ground wire to the winch. The winch is wireless! So no running wires to the cab for a hand controller. If the winch I have now craps out.. I'll get a bigger winch and swap over the wireless control box to the new winch (2 wires) and my new winch will then be wireless!

anyways.. no snow here yet.. but I got it all hooked up (5 min.) and the thing works pretty well. here are some pictures! Let me know what you think! I know I'm not going to be doing any major plowing with it.. but it beats the hell out of the shovel and the crappy lawn mower plows that cost like $350!

I also am working on a back up light that plugs into the RV slot and illuminates the blade when backingup..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Snowplowkid

Snowplowkid Member

Does it say Kewanee, IL on the sticker? Im like 12 mi from there!

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Actually looks pretty creative. I just bought the same winch off ebay for my other quad haha. Cool idea. Need pics of it pulling snow now.

4. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

pretty cool. make the deal even better to have a back-up camera to get as close as possible to the garage/ect

5. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Looks good and pretty trim. I've seen a lot worse.

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

with a creative setup like that you must be a farmer, lol, looks pretty damn impressive to me.

7. TLB

TLB Senior Member

post an action shot when you can.

8. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

no.. not a farmer.. but have worked on many of them. I can't wait to get some snow here! We'll see how she holds up.. I still have a light bar to add that will run off the 7 pong RV... that way they only come on in reverse

9. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

all you need now is a set of side markers and a hitch on the front. better make that a cushion(sp?) hitch. lol but that is pretty good sure beats doing exactly the same thing from the seat of an open station tractor.:rolleyes:

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's the biggest POS I've seen on here to date. :jester:

Seriously though, you just wasted $335.00.

11. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like it'll work to me. Have fun and post more pictures when the snow comes please.

12. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

x2. But please let us know how it holds up. I bet that harbor freight winch doesn't work after the 2nd plowing lol.

13. pensty

pensty Junior Member

Kudos to you for the innovative thinking, let us know how she works.

14. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

sure beats a shovel. and for someone who only gets snow now and then. easier to justify then a $6K plow

15. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Should work, Ive built a few of my own plows (pusher type), Put a nice coat of paint on it, and it looks factory made, without the executive price.

16. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Looks like it'll work, Definitely look into putting a couple trip springs on there. I see it has the ability to trip but won't cause of the metal plate welded at the top. I'd be worried about catching something and ripping the hitch off. It would be an easy project and about $40-50

17. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

i could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time) but i dont think he will have any issues like what you are expecting. if it were on a tractor with 3 solid links mounting it, then yes if he hit something big it would definately hang up. however, his 'third' link in this set up is a winch cable which should (in theory) allow the entire assembly to tip forward when he hits something. now i could be wrong, but the only way to be sure is to do some very careful test runs with people watching to make sure nothing comes apart. all i know is if i had that to chose from or my open air tractor id chose this 9 times out of 10.

18. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the positive remarks! You other two guys... I already know it's a pos... and the wionch has a 2 year in store replacement warrenty... remember.. I'm not going to do any commercial plowing with this thihng and prolly will only use it 5-10 a year. In my part of the state we average about 60" a year... up in the lake effect area they get double that...

as for the trip spring I was thinking that it would "pop" up if I did hit something.. since the third link is a flexible cable.... the angle of attack is such that it would promote this motition as well... we'll see how it holds up... I'm considering getting into the lawn care/ snow removal business coming in the near future. I would get a real plow if I did.. but something like this would be great for condos.. or getting close the the garage... I suppose if I got a boss rt3 with down pressure I could always back drag...anyways.. I'm very excited to see how she works... could very well be a pos... but I'm thinking it'll work just fine

19. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

some people just cant keep there fingers from typing what there minds are thinking, guess there mothers never taught them if they dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all:rolleyes: as you stated in your opening paragraph "poormans plow" i think it looks good and should get the job done what your using it for;) good luck and dont forget some action pics:drinkup:

20. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Looks pretty good for the cash spent.Get some videos for us.