1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Plow Cart

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 2004chevy2500hd, Jan 6, 2011.

1. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

Have a RT3 7'6" straight blade - I was shopping around and checking out a plowcart and saw that these range from pricey to really pricey...

Contacted my buddy who has a metal shop - He made me this for about $90 - it still need to be painted - but not too bad...

It works really well for me.

In the shape of "T" - three 4" 300lb rubber wheels

(just greased the wheels)

3" u channel - 42" wide for the blade and a 34" square tube for the plow stand

The piece of cut 2"x6" is there so I don't have to adjust the height of the plow stand - just disconnect and it sits perfectly on there. (will replace it with metal after the season)

We have contact

TSC for the wheels.

Just have to prime and paint it - I'm thinking Boss red.
  2. iowasnow

iowasnow Junior Member

90 bucks for 2 peices of steel and 3 casters? holy crap, talk about pricey
  3. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

Looks nice :)
  4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Looks good. Thats not a bad price. Around here those wheels cost 15 each.
  5. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

northerntool.com has casters pretty cheap, IIRC
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

can you back your truck out of the plow? i know if the plow isnt low enough the bottom pins wont clear the hooks in the mount so when you back up it pulls the plow with it.
  7. buy the appliance carts at Home D and remove the casters
    made mine from wood and works fine
    I use a little $20 jack to raise the plow off the truck if needed
    bent the stand years ago and it is in a field somewhere
  8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I thought home-made means you made it at home, not somebody else. You have about 20 bucks or less in steel in that piece.
  9. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

My buddy did the welding (wish I could say that that was one of my skills) - he just charged me for the metal, by the pound. That cart is pretty heavy - I really like it. Just need to paint it -

ProTouchGrounds - No, I don't believe I can back the truck out - I have a Boss (w/o the smartswitch) - I just flip the release handles and then push on the lightbar and that's it.

I'm sure that there is cheaper and better out there - but hey - it works for me and I'm happy.

I just store the plow in my garage - so I don't have to move the plow to far.

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i meant, does your cart raise the plow high enough that the stationary pins dont clear the hooks at the bottom of the mount?