1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homemade meyer mount??

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cowboy_biker1, Oct 20, 2011.

1. cowboy_biker1

cowboy_biker1 Junior Member

hey guys, so i bought a meyer snow plow the other day. Got it pretty cheap but with good theres always bad. I need this to mount to a 2000 f250 superduty. The mounts i found range from 600-800 dollars! Has anyone made a homemade mount for an f250? if so please give me some ideas because i think im going to make one. Im not sure on what kind of mount but it is an older meyer. thanks

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I haven't made one for a F250 but last year I did two, one of a 79 F150 and the other for my 2010 Dodge Ram. I used 3/8" steel for the ends that hang down and are bolted to the frame, some heavy angle iron to go between them. The ford had the tubular mount for the plow so I used 2 1/2" square tube for the round to slide into. The Dodge had a normal angle iron mount so I fabbed two receiver tubes , I call them the "5 minute mounts" LOL
    Here is the one for the ford, maybe you can get some ideas from it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made them so they were bolt on deals, didn't want to weld to the frames.
    good luck and let us know how you are making out.

3. cowboy_biker1

ya that looks good and will definately take some ideas off of that. I forgot to mention though, my problem is more of the fact that there is very little room underneath there. It has leaf springs up frunt and being a diesel theres just a bumch of room any ideas?? with the leaf springs there I have to make some kind of a bracket that would resemble the shape of an L_
    7 in order to avoid those leaf springs and then come down a few inches.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

the leafs don't hang on the inside of the frame do they? If no then you can have the piece that hangs down (flat stock) bent over and up , kind of like an "S" that's what I did on the Dodge.

5. cowboy_biker1

ya they actually run right underneath, ive only got a few inches in between the frame and the leaf springs. Ya if you got any picutures of the dodge thatd be great. Im going to see what i can fabricate this monday thanks for your help so far!!

6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

This should help:

http://ww2.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/17113 Mtg. 1-716 R4.pdf

I've built two custom mounts now, first was a 4" lifted 92 explorer second was a similar situation to yours, bought a meyer blade, but needed mount and headgear for a 06 Silverado. Mount + headgear was pushing $1000. Bought a metal cutting bandsaw and steel for $400 or so, use the bandsaw all the time!

In every case, I start by looking at various plow manufacturers mounts for the vehicle I'm working on.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. sslongmuir

sslongmuir Junior Member
    from Maine

Anything yet? I am going to make a set for my 2001 f250 SD and need ideas...

8. sslongmuir

sslongmuir Junior Member
    from Maine

9. tgregoire

tgregoire Junior Member

Hey Dave,

Can you tell me the diameter and wall thickness of the tube for the tubular mount? Also what wall thickness is the 2 1/2" square?

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I have long since sold that ford and plow but I think I used 3" square tube for the round to go in, I tacked some spacers on the top and sides of the tube itself to keep it snug in the square. I think it was 3/16 wall but I can't remember for certain, I have CRS some days bad..............:mechanic:

I think Meyer must have had the tube for those mounts made special as it is an odd size and I could not find anything that was compatible. Good luck.

11. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Hey guys, check out this (http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=126426) carton for sale, it should give you a good Idea of what I did, maybe you could buy this one if it will fit your rig.

The only difference is I used square stock instead of round. Be careful if you brace on the drivers side as not to interfere with your steering.

12. tgregoire

tgregoire Junior Member

Thsnks Dave. I'm actually making the tubular mount for mine. I have the original mounting (Classic mount, or something like that name) system that requires the bumper to be taken off first.

13. firefighter305

firefighter305 Junior Member

Cowboy_biker1 I bought a Meyer last winter with the tube mount off of a 97 Chevy and just modified it to fit my 2004 Chevy. The frames are completely different so I had to rebuild it. I used 3/8 plate to make the side plates that bolt to the frame and a piece of 3/8 angle welded to it that bolts under the frame. I also added two pieces of 1/4 thick square tubing bolted from the mount back to the crossmember for additional support. I based it off of some pics I found on Google images. It is way stronger than the factory way it bolted to the 97 Chevy. I hope this helps. I would upload pics but I haven't figured out how to put them on this site yet.

14. sslongmuir

sslongmuir Junior Member
    from Maine

Pics

I built these the day after your post but have not got around to putting them up. Its 3/8" steel plate with solid 1" bar running to the frame for support. Everything works good but only time will tell...

PA280230.jpg

PA280232.jpg

PA280234.jpg

PA290235.jpg

PA290239.jpg

15. sslongmuir

sslongmuir Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a total of $715 in this project including paint, new edge markers and fuel to go get it. Beats $4000 for a new straight blade.

PA290237.jpg

16. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Looks good, nice to see a handcrafted project come to life! :mechanic:

17. cowboy_biker1

ya that is a pretty good idea. Does the bumper fit over that? My brother should be done within the next week. He is going to make it come off the frame and weld on some hitches so it will be a quick connect. The only problem is we dont know how much to come down? is there a problem if the bracket is too high or too low?

18. sslongmuir

sslongmuir Junior Member
    from Maine

It should specify on the installation instructions. The Meyers PDF shows 11 1/4" to the ground i think or around there. I based mine off that on a flat concrete floor and mocked the whole plow up on rolling jacks so i would know exactly where everything fit. Mine sits perfect but the frame is low. Oh well.

PB080242.jpg

19. shgreen1

shgreen1 Junior Member

F250 mount

Hey. I'm also trying to fabricate my own mount for a plow for my 04 F-250. I've seen lots of good pictures of the complete mount but I'm unsure of where most mounts would actually bolt to the truck frame. Does anyone have any pics of where the mount attaches to their truck?

Thanks for the help everyone.

20. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Click the link in post #6. If that's not what you are looking for go to the Meyer site and find the mounting kit for your truck and download the installation instructions.