1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade loader blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cantoo, Jan 17, 2003.

1. cantoo

cantoo PlowSite.com Veteran

We had a real stormy Saturday and I hate cold weather so I decided to make a wider blade for my compact tractor in a nice warm shop. I started with an old water tank and cut it in half with the recip saw, cut one end off then welded the two pieces together. I welded two pieces of 2" angle to the back for strength then welded four pieces of 2" tube to attach it to the bucket. I used a piece of 1/2" x2" flat bar for the cutting edge. To attach it to the loader I welded a length of chain onto the blade and it attaches to the hook I already have welded onto the middle of the bucket. It only take a flip of the chain to take it off so I can use the bucket. So far I have just left the blade on as it stacks well and isn't in the way. I only use it on my own driveway and for making our snow cross track it should last a long time. It's about 9'6" wide and cost me Can $55.00 and about 6 hours in the shop to build.

2. cantoo

Closer shot of the front

3. cantoo

Chain attachment to loader.

4. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

What model tractor is that? looks like a 1920. I have a 2120 with a curtis cab and heat but your cab looks a little nicer what brand cab is it? Look' s like a pretty neat settup.
  5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

It's resourcefullness like this that makes you think (positively) about how far the human race has come in the last 100 years. Ideas pop into people minds and some bring those ideas to fruition.

I applaud your ability to use available resources and make them work in special situations.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Looks good

It amazing what you can do with some free time on your hands.Very nice job.
  7. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Now thats cool!

Great idea...
  8. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Great job, looks like you've got a great working idea. Not all you need is to use the other 1/2 of the tank for a back blade and you'll be all set.... :D Good pics.
  9. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Very creative.:D
    Not many people would think to use a water tank. Looks like the final product is pretty good.
  10. cantoo

It's a 1520 Ford 4 wheel drive with turf tires. I think it's a Landin cab I have heat and wipers front and back. I have a 5' snow blower for it and a 6' angling back blade. Using the tilt of the loader I can back blade as much as I want anyway. I need to make the blade higher so that the snow doesn't go over it and fill the bucket. I want to make a really nice one so this is just a prototype that I can play with.

11. cantoo

Updated picture of my final blade. I used 3 48" blades from Graveley walk behinds cut down and welded to end up with a 9'-6" wide blade. I attached it right to my loader arms for more lifting power and to make it shorter. Works great and the price was right. I can scoop snow with it and backdrag really good. I also cut a round pipe to install on the cutting edge for my gravel parking lot and driveway.
    For some reason I can't attached the picture but it's on this thread post number 858.