1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade liquid deicer spay bar?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grshppr, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I am thinking of getting into doing liquid deicing next year, and I am wondering if there is a way to make my own spray bar. I have a 100 gal sprayer with pump etc, but all I need is the bar (10 ft or so). From looking at one of the city trucks in our area, it appears to be a basic setup,PVC pipe with holes in it.

I was hopeing somebode could tell me what diameter of pipe to use, diameter of holes, and how far apart the should be. Would I be better off just buying one from a supplier?

Thanks in advance, and I'd appreciate any other input you can give. :help:

2. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

3. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Just give me a ring and i can give you the info as you can make your own spray bars if you want we do
    John Parker
    845-485-4200

4. capital

capital Senior Member

spray bars

We used normal garden hose running off two electric pumps to a metal bar fitted to a receiver hitch for are brine sprayer. Each hose has itsown head and nozzle. Thus far am happy and cost was alot less than pvc or stainless steel. Plus if u back into anything, we are figuring easier to fix a hose than pvc or metal.

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Give me a call and I can tell you how we made ours. It is similar to dultmeiers 80" prebuilt unit. Ours has 6 changable tips and I am thinking of adding 2 more to spray past the truck/boom width.

You should use solid stream nozzles for treating hardpack (2 X product)

For pretreating in parking lots and drives I would reccomend a fan nozzle (1 X product)

dultmeiers unit
    http://www.dultmeier.com/product.asp?pf_id=DU1-1/4BOOM&dept_id='9.3.2.'

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys, I got in touch with a company a half hour from here, and they are going to help me get a system set up. They also gave me the number to a local supplier of magnesium chloride. Happy New Year!:drinkup: ....only if your not getting any snow tonight...;)