1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homemade hydraulic pressure tester

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by devypower, Dec 9, 2012.

1. devypower

devypower Junior Member

has anyone made a tester? i have several 3000 psi gauges around the garage i have fuel, air, compression and an old oil filled one is there a way to make couplers to attach to the plow to test it, if so would you know the thread size of the western housing. i am a cheap sob and refuse to spend money unless i have too, if i can fab i will. they are calling for snow in a couple days and i would like to be ready thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have a couple of home made / converted gauges so I can see multiple pressures at the same time. Most pressure test ports are 1/4" ORB (o-ring boss) Many people would call this a #4 The number system is an indication of 1/16 ie: 4 = 4/16 or 1/4 a #16 = 16/16 or 1" So ask for a #4 ORB

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

There is nothing special about this that would even ALLOW you to call it "home made". All you're doing is buying the appropriate fitting adapter IF the threads on your gauge are different from the threads on your plow pump. I.e., as mentioned, might be an ORB socket. If your gauge is an NPT, then you just need that adapter. ORBM --> NPTF, probably 1/4" both.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Do you have a problem you are looking to solve? If your plow works like it should-why bother disconnecting things to perform a test? IMO you are asking for more problems if you are just disassembling a working unit shortly before a snowfall for no reason other than peace of mind (especially if you don't expect to find a problem).

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=141668

6. devypower

devypower Junior Member

got one made today and it worked great, sorry if "HOMEMADE" was the wrong terminology how about not store bought or pieced together, either way i did not want to go to a store on line and pay 75 to 100 bucks for a tester. my snap-on compression tester was over $200 and i have used it twice in 4 years, just being frugal. anyways thanks a bunch guys