1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade float setup

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 02powerstroke, Nov 25, 2008.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone made a setup like what comes stock on the MM2's with the cable and spring.
    And why do they come with this if when you press down the controler floats on its own?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

It compresses the lift cylinder for you when you go to take the plow off where on the MM1's you had to do it manually...as you know seeing as you have one. Also, the plow sometimes may not go into float mode so with the cylinder being collapsed already, you have plenty of play for any type of slope...JMO

I wouldn't mind making a spring and cable setup for my MM1 someday, but it's not high on my list of priorities =]

-mike-

3. 02powerstroke

O normaly I just push down on the stick and its in float i grab the chain pull the ram down and its all set. But I just bought a new fish stik and its not a float model so this might be important.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Then sell the cable kit for this. I have a MM1 that I just got back from the Powder Coating guys. It is getting the New Lights, the MM2 Lift arm with the cable kit. I paid $26 & $13. The Part numbers are 27534 & 27169K. Check Lang's online store.

I am sure you can make this stuff no problem too.

5. 02powerstroke

i need to just look at one I bet it could be made for less than $40 bucks..

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually it is....as they all are. You simply hold the "lower" button down for a second and it will go into float...you'll know when it's in float as the light will change colors.

Personally speaking, never saw a major convenience in reference to the cable and spring setup. If your too lazy to push the lift arm down you should just have someone else remove the plow for you. :D

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

On my two MM2s I left teh cable and srping off. I have taken them off a few other peoples as well.

I did not like the cylinder retracting all the way every push I made.

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Why didn't you like it?

9. 02powerstroke

want to sell the set up?

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

There is then a delay when you go to raise it while the slack in the chain is taken up. Might not seem like much but its enough to catch curbs etc.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And that right there is why I never liked them. When I push the button, I want things moving asap. :nod:

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It does take a while to get used to the ram fully compressing. If I'm in a parking lot or other flat area, I just hit the up button for a second to take up the slack as I start the run. Then I'm ready to lift at the end of the run.