1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Back Plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Ryan's Snow Rem, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Ryan's Snow Rem

Ryan's Snow Rem Member
    from Montana

Here are some pics of my back blade-all said and done it cost me roughly $1100. Works really well-there are a few things i would change if i ever did it again though.
    I mounted the pump underneath the pick-up and just use Hydraulic Quick-Connects mainly to protect the pump from the elements. Im in the process of making an enclosure for the pump.

Snow Removal Pics 028.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 029.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 033.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 034.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 030.jpg

2. Ryan's Snow Rem

Ryan's Snow Rem Member
    from Montana

Fab Pics

Here are some pics of the fab process

Snow Removal Pics 019.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 021.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 022.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 023.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 025.jpg

3. Ryan's Snow Rem

Ryan's Snow Rem Member
    from Montana

Misc Pics

Miscellaneous pics of the back blade

Snow Removal Pics 031.jpg

Snow Removal Pics 032.jpg

control pic.JPG

4. Post Mowing

Post Mowing Member

looks nice

5. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

Looks real good for a homemade.. and it's on a ford.. ya brother, i like it!

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

My first thought is -- Get that pump out from under the truck!! If you do make an enclosure for the pump make sure it's sealed up tight. Best place is under the hood if you have room. Looks like a good blade, you did a nice job on it. Maybe some of the steel looks too thin though.

7. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

very nice, I love seeing projects like that

8. MattR

MattR Senior Member

That looks great for a homemade one. I always like to try and make my own stuff when possible too. Just that my projects never seem to come out looking that good...lol.

Matt

9. Ryan's Snow Rem

Ryan's Snow Rem Member
    from Montana

I thought about under the hood-but i didnt want that much Hydraulic hose run from front to back-the enclosure im making is 100% watertight- I'll Post pics when Im done. All the Steel for the frame is a minimum of 1/4" thick-the tabs for the pivots are 1/2"--it looks alot thinner in the pics-i do agree with that.

10. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

That looks really well built. Good luck with it. I want to fab one up some day when the funds allow

11. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

must give you some good weight when your plowing

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Nicely done. I hope it works out well for you.

13. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Very well done!! Gets me thinking though, I'm telling the wife that it's your fault I'm going to spend some now!! :rolleyes::drinkup:

14. serafii

serafii Senior Member

sweet homemade plow woulda never noticed it was homemade

15. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

We run pull plows on a few of our trucks and have found that removing the tailgate really helps a lot.

Also, why not mount the plow pump in the bed? Put it in an enclosure in the corner. Seems no matter how well they are sealed up, the elements get to them.

16. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Hi, I'm in the market for a back blade and this looks real sweet. Just asking, is there any chance to get the specs to this project. While I don't have the means to make it, I do have someone who can with the proper instruction. Obviously I would expect to pay you for this. If you are interested please get back to me by PM or email me jkoz2002@sbcglobal.net

17. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I am not sure I get the back blades. Do they save you that much time? They probably do a better job than back draging, in wet snow. Must be hard to see it though.

18. Ryan's Snow Rem

Ryan's Snow Rem Member
    from Montana

This is my first year using a back blade and I love it. They are excellent for backdragging, especially in between cars or on driveways. I have a few RV dealer customers and you can back underneathe the 5th wheel and drag the snow out. The visibility is a downfall though-a good set of mirrors is a MUST HAVE, as well as lots of lighting back there. I put the plow markers on each corner and angled them back 3 inches past the back of the blade so they touch buildings, etc before the blade does.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

x2 Looks nice. Why don't you just put the pump behing the fender wells in the box of your pickup?

20. Ryan's Snow Rem

Ryan's Snow Rem Member
    from Montana

Tried it today without the tailgate-Great idea thanks!! The only reason its not in the bed is the amount of other crap that gets hauled around the rest of the year-mainly firewood. I am strongly thinking amount mounting it under the toolbox after plowing season.