1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homemade aluminum rack

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by CAT420, Oct 22, 2009.

1. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

So ive been wanting a back rack for a while now, and couldnt justify buying the actual "rack" that everybody and there grandmother owns so heres mine me and my neighbor built. Its out of 2x3 for the sides and top and 2x2 on the bottom . He did all the welding and helped me ( or should i say taught me) on how to do alot of the stuff since im not no fabricator. I put the nova wic-3 lights on the side and two flood lights that ill use when im hooking up a trailer at night or whatever. let me know what you think. He is open to making them for people.

p/s i have 18 feet of 2x2 aluminum left over since i had to buy 24 feet of it that is for sale. do not know how much have to do the math. i paid $125 so make an offer.

1004091403.jpg

1004091403a.jpg

1004091515.jpg

1015091646.jpg

1015091646a.jpg

2. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

and here it is mounted to my truck

1015091646b.jpg

1022091719.jpg

1022091724.jpg

1022091725.jpg

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

thats pretty sweet how much is he planning to charge ? shipping ?

4. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

its probably be a local thing since, the trucks are different but i can talk to him about that.

5. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

not too bad, how much?..Im over in Hopkinton..I can fabricate, but I dont have a tig welder, only a flux cure gasless mig...so I dont have the tools to do aluminum...what would he charge for roughly same set up?

6. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

he said $350

7. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks great and I wish I could weld that well.

8. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

those are very good welds. what kind of welder did he use?

9. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

Cat is he located in Bellingham, I am looking for a guy that welds alum. to make a few welds on an aluminum box on my truck.

10. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

yea he lives two houses down from me. p.m if you want information erckwd

11. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

You don't need a tig to weld aluminum... a spoolmatic gun on a good lincoln mig and straight argon for the shielding gas and your in business.

I used to fab aluminum landing gear day in / day out years ago and thats all we ever used.

12. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Great job!!

I like the Nova's Awesome lights!!

13. T&M SnowMan

yeah thats true, I was having a moment for myself, I used to weld cast aluminum stringers for staircases with a MIG spool gun...I dont know why I wasnt thinking of that!:dizzy:

14. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

thanks, yea the nova lights seem to be pretty nice, i just bought the CAT lights to replace the cheap wal-mart ones i put on which i should have picked up right from the beginning.

15. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, Ive been wanting one for some time. Like you though I just can't bring myself to buying one.

16. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

The welds look OK, but they are not worth a lot of praise. Overall it does look good and solid!

17. T&M SnowMan

Everybodys a friggin expert welder..haha...always a critic on here...there's no thread without one, there's nothing wrong with those welds, the next guy always know how to do it better..haha

18. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

everybodys always better than everybody. if i wanted perfect welds i would have bought a rack, and no where does it say "please praise over the welds on my rack" in my description. haha t&m i dont need that piston, i ended up buying a seal kit this morning we will see how that works out.

19. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

I,m a expert welder,and those are just fine.Anyone saying different is just jealous.:nono::laughing:

20. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Well his name says he's the master.........:laughing::laughing::laughing: