1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homemade air foil

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Anybody made their own airfoil? I don't really like the looks of the Blizzard one, I think I could do something more effective. I was thinking about putting a sheet of plexi from the top crossbar of the light tower down to the top of the radiator support, bolted down in such a way that I could shut the hood on it. Being closer to the truck I think it would guide the air in more effectively than out on the plow. I got the idea from a similar setup I saw a long time ago on a Fisher triangle, when you raise it for transport it was tilted towards the grill of the truck, and being plexi you could still see through it. My trucks nose is low and hidden behind the plow, so I'm just trying to think of a good way to increase airflow. Every plowtruck I had before sat high and the blade could be transported without totally blocking it. Let me know what you've done, and I'll post some pics if I make the plexi thing myself.
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Dan, At the snow show in Marlborough this year there was a plastic clear air foil exactly as you described for all plows including the Blizzard. I was going to buy it but decided on the Blizzard model instead. The 810 raises up pretty far and looked like it would block the air flow to the foil. The Blizzard one mounts on the plow itself and will catch the air as it flows over the top of the plow.
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I drove it home mounted last night, for the first time, and it is pretty high, even carrying it as low as I could. It definitely blocked all my airflow, my fan kept coming on too keep the temp down. Fortunately I dont anticipate driving on the highway with it. I tried carrying it angled hard right, but that raised the left side so much the headlight was shining off it and bugging me, and the right shoe would hit almost everything. It seems like the plow could deflect the air uptoo high and even over where I wanted to put the deflector. Maybe Blizzard knew what they were doing when they made theirs. About how much do they cost?