1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homeless guy heckling my shovlers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SNOWLORD, Mar 12, 2013.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We got 9.2" of wet heavy snow the other day. Ive got 24 guys shoveling that morning, I pull into one lot and find 10 shovelers and one old guy kind of following them I ask him whats your program he says I dont have a program I say are you shoveling he says no Im supervising I say are you being paid for this he says no Im volunteering I ask one of my guys whats going on he says this guy has been following them around this large center for 2 hours heckling them I go back over to the guy and say hey old timer have you ever seen these new shovels they have now days he says no I say would you like to try one out he says I thought you would never ask I hand him the shovel and he starts right in shoveling with the rest of the bunch. A few hours later I call and ask how is he doing my guy says he is better than some of our regular guys. Just thought you guys might get a kick out of the story.
  2. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Thats funny! Did you pay the guy a few bucks or just let him have some fun with it?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Little madd dog at the end of the night.
  4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Too spendy, Boone's Farm.
  5. grandview

Hope you 1099 him.
  6. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

That's pretty funny. I mean it is a huge liability. But with 24 other shovelers alone I'm sure you know the risks.. Good for you! Hire that man!
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Good story, so how'd it work out?
  9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

This. :laughing:
  10. grandview

He fell and broke a leg.so now he can't get that CEO job he was interviewed for and the bank is now going to repo his box he's living in.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Last thing I heard he shoveled for 2or 3 hours then dropped the shovel and wandered off.
  12. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

That's awesome. That must be a hell of a site to have 24 shovelers!
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He probably just chugged a bottle of mouth wash and had a little to much energy. LOL
  14. grandview

I think they told him some Canadians threw some old clothes in the pile so he was shoveling to find them.;)

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

There were 10 at this site but the rest were split up at other sites. With over 9inches of very wet heavy snow we brought in a few extras.
  16. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing: I've had shovelers do that, never to be heard from again, I've also had them disappear after 20min:laughing:

I remember, when I was a teenager I was working installing cabinets in apt's in Vancouver,(really it was in richmond center) when some homeless guy came up to the trailer & just grabbed a cabinet & started carrying it into the building, well after a few trips one of us noticed he had no hardhat on, someone threw him one & then we realized he wasn't on the crew. By this time he's made 6 trips back & forth so nobody said boo. Well break time came & the boss had to actually talk to him. He hired him on the spot, lunch time came & he said he had no $ for lunch but not to worry cause he knew what to do, he went into safeway in the mall & made a full sandwich, got bread,cheese & meat by just walking through opening packages. The store maneger came & told our boss(yet let him do his thing) our boss then gave him a few bucks & sent him on his way.
  17. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

One of my guys did that. i got lucky and hte schools closed so the job was done. but after the season he started drunk txting me about his 52 dollars and mad cause i never called him back. as if you can walk off any job and get called back.

weird thing is, he refused to give me his new address to send a check to. and wanted me to take a day off work to come deliver his 52 dollars.

i knew i wasnt keeping him after this year anyway. my 15mo old has mastered putting a round object in a round hole. but i had to put the pin in his truck door when the old one wore out.