1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homeland security, OSHA & Background Checks for a Snow Account!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I had a Meeting today with some suit & tie guys to Bid on three sites for a Company.

The Main guy flat out told me they have a hard time finding contractors to big on there sites. There Looking for a new contractor this year cause the old one can not pass a background check anymore.

The Contract is Per Push/ Per Ton.

The Lot & Walks are to be keep wet 24/7 7 days a week.

All my guys must have at all times:
    - Safety Vest (we wear them anyhow)
    - Hard Hats & Glasses

I'm thinking this is kinda out of the norm but no big deal, then he says:

We will need a list of all employees that could ever be on site, Including there name, SSN, Photo and They must sign off on a Background check.

Also anytime your guys are on site they must wear a Company ID Card with there Photo on it, where it can be seen.

Were going to bid it kinda high because I don't think to many ppl are going to bid against me.

What do you guys think about this?
  2. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

is becomming common place, Schools and gated places...
  3. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Thats what im hearing. We haven't had to deal with that yet, but i can understand due to the type of company it is.
  4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Be careful giving out employees SSN's. Im assuming you will have each employee sign a waiver giving you their permission to pass along the social. This happened to me before. A company wanted detailed, personal information on all our workers. I told them that is private information and I can not legally, nor would I feel comfortable giving that out. They backed down and the contract went through anyhow. Good luck, sounds like it could be a moneymaker though.
  5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

hmmm.................................didn't realize that obama had a place in Ohio :confused: :D
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just reading the subject, his name came to mind.:gunsfiring:
  7. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

are you bidding on a government controlled facility
  8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Go for it. Anything to exclude the masses should raise the rates. We work at a few controlled environments and have had to do similar.
  9. fireside

fireside Senior Member

i did some sub work at a BAYER drug research and manufactring complex. I had to have a backround check for everyone who ran my trucks. Everyone had to go onsite to fill out paper work and get a pic taken. A little bit of a pita at first but after that you just pulled up to the gate and drove in. I bigger problem was there saftey class 2 hours( they paid per truck rate per man hour so no cost to me)
    You also needed to remember you were always being watched speed limit was 20 so don't go faster or you will be supended for one day. We had to fight them to understand a skidsteer was designed to spin around and it was not a unsafe act
  10. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We do some airport properties and same thing.
  11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I'm working up the bids tonight so I might have some ?'s posted lol.

They are Communication Sites, so I can see why its that way.
  12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I understand everything except the hard hats and glasses? WTF!
  13. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

snow blowers blow things besides snow :nod::nod: ask my insurance agent what happens when an idiot blows snow towards the window of a building along a flower bed that has small stones as top cover and those stones are picked up and thrown at a window of an engineering firm at 345am :realmad::realmad:
  14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Hard hats don't make you smarter. :jester:
  15. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I'm thinking hard hats are more for OSHA then anything
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most likely. If you're operating "heavy equipment" you probably need them. Like glasses for any "power equipment"

Best of luck to you on this bid.
  17. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Too much headache. But, if they like a 2x charge then so be it.

I would ask about the details of the background check first. Some are very extensive and you will NEVER find ANY shoveler that can pass it.

Hard hat in the winter is just dumb. How do you wear one and keep your head warm when outside the truck.
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You would think, but not necessarily true.

I'm going head to head with the two big nationals on a large facility.....just us three.

They both price this type of work on the cheap. Go figure.
  19. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

The big national property companies will still have to have their account hands and their subs pass the same background checks.
  20. FAST87BIRD

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

I have to do this for an account I sub. It is for an affiliate of Summit Racing, It becomes a real pain at first. Once you get yourself and your guys through everything it really isnt a bad thing. In a way it is nice, as long as you can stay under thier radar so you can get in and get out as fast as possible.