1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Home plow issues

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cheeseheadbob, Jan 24, 2013.

1. cheeseheadbob

cheeseheadbob Junior Member

Noob, non-commercial plow owner here. I have the full hydraulic power model, and I used the search function and did not get any results, so I thought I would try and post here.

I put the plow on the truck last night, connected the controller, and all seemed ok. The plow rotated left, but then I was not able to move it back to the right, up or down. The motors sound like they are working, but absolutely zero movement. When I hit the left button, it does sound like it is trying to go further left.

The fluid is a little low, but not too bad. It is just about 60% full in the reservoir. The plow did sit covered for a year. I took the shrouds off and inspected the wiring and hoses. Everything seems to be ok. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone is in the Baltimore area, could you please recommend a reputable shop that I can go to if I can not resolve this.

Thanks! -Bob

2. jkski

jkski Member

Low hydro fluid can cause a lot of problems since the set-up works on pressure. It does not take much in the way of low fluid to cause the plow to be weak in my experience so I would start with filling it to the recommended level. After that, be sure to check your wiring connections, if one of them is not connected tight, you may not be getting enough power to the unit for whatever function you are asking it to do. I have had my connetion come loose to the point where the motor would hum but the plow would not lift, so I got out moved it a bit and things were fine.
    Hope this helps.

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

First I need a bit more info on what setup you have. You said you have a full hydraulic power model. That means you have a hydraulic pump under the hood that is run either by the fan belt or by a PTO. Now usually in most cases this also means you have levers inside the cab that moves valves to control fluid flow. OK

Now if you have the pump mounted out in front of your truck with an E 47 or E 60 type pump, them the pump is designed to go left by default. This means that if you power just the pump it will always go left. which means that your selenoids are not getting power.

So lets start by getting on the same page as to what type setup you have.

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

he actually gave enough info. He has a meyer home plow. Its there cheap model. They have one with no power angle and one thats full power. Which is what he has. you either arent getting current to any of the coils. If it worked you just have a connection thats bad somewhere. Default on meyer stuff when the motor is turned on with no valves open is always to the left. so when it opens a valve it goes, up or down and 2 the right.

5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I am really sorry, I had a brain fart.
    Kevins right, But start by recalibrating your controler, if the pump isn't getting the correct signal it wont function properly, if that doesn't help then test for power at each coil.
    To recalibrate, make sure the reciever is plugged in and has 12 volts, then remove the cover from the reciever, look for a small white button, press and hold the button untill you see a red light come on. when the red light comes on press the up or down button on the controler, the red light should go out imediatly, if so the controler is now programed to operate with the plow.

6. cheeseheadbob

Guys, thanks for the information. From what I have read here, it may be the controller. I dropped the plow off at a reputable mechanical shop and they seem to be stumped. I have completed all of the recommended maintenance and did the trouble shooting to no avail. I will share your insights with them and hopefully get it running again for the 1/100th of an inch of snow we may get here Friday. P.S. thanks for not treating me like a complete moron...:cool:

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

we never treat anyone like a complete moron. Thumbs Up

well maybe grandview, but most of the time he deserves it when we treat him that way. :D

8. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

The homeplow you have has a solenoid that reverses polaritity to get it to do certain things. It's not your normal solenoid. Your issue sounds very familiar to one I had last year. 05029 is the Meyer #, if needed. It's around a $75.00 part. Meyer has no good electrical schematics for this plow. The only one I have seen is in the owner's manual. Tell whoever is working on it about the reverse polarity, or you'll cost yourself a lot of time, and the teck a lot of hair pulling!!

9. cheeseheadbob

I just called the guys working on the plow and relayed this information. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. When I get the thing fixed, I will post what the issues were and how it was fixed.

10. cheeseheadbob

Well, it turned out to be a bad diode in the controller. No rust, no oxidation, the thing looked like it just came out of the box. WTF? Anyhoo, at least the plow will be ready to go for next year... :D

11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Thats great that it's fixed. Good luck.