1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

home made spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Yzal, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i was wondering if anyone had or has seen a home made spreader. well winter is getting long here and i've been thinking about making a smaller one. something that would hook into my reciever and beable to hold around 100-200pounds of salt sand mix. any ideas i'd like to hear em'
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Check your PM
  3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I made one from a small seeder that was for a tractor i bought at an auction.I took off the flexible pto shaft and spinner and bought a used meyer snowplow motor and then made a spinner out of steel and rigged a shaft out of 1/2 inch threaded rod i did not put bearings on this because it was a prototype but the next one will have some on it. I used a solonoid and a toggle switch it works pretty good but is loud enuff to wake the dead:realmad: if you want more info e-mail me and i would be glad to help ya out cheers :drinkup: happy plowing walt
  4. daninline

daninline Senior Member

home made how?

I'm thinking of making a tail gate salt spreader if anyone has any plans that worked or parts I could buy or places to get the parts can you PM me or email me.

I'll post pics while working on it.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  5. DocMopar

DocMopar Junior Member

I was also thinking of making a tailgate spreader. I have a 55 Gal poly drum which would be perfect, I think I just need to make a funnel for the inside and design the motor attachments etc. I think it would be helpful to purchase the control gates from another manufacturer though. If anyone has accomplished this any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
  6. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I saw the funniest thing yesterday. A guy was salting the sidewalk using a skidsteer towing a "salter". The salter was an old axle with the pinion facing up. A spinner was bolted onto the pinion. When he drove forward the axle tires would turn causing the spinner to turn. :rolleyes: There was a homemade hopper above the spinner. The only way to control spinner speed was towing it faster or slower.