1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Home made ram tow hooks

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by apik1, Mar 3, 2009.

1. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

The 04 ram didn't come with front tow hooks, and they were way to expensive on ebay, so I made my own, 2 small plates, 2 chevy hooks, drill, and welder.

2. lawfires

lawfires Junior Member

I'd suspect that the plate itself is strong enough, and the hook itself is strong enough (although I've seen those Chevy hooks straighten out under heavy load), but I'd be really, really scared to put any pull on that. That tiny weld around the base of it (even assuming that it is a fillet joint that you ground back and welded in) will NOT be strong at all...and that's assuming that it is a dead straight pull. If there is even a tiny bit of an angle on your pull, all of the force (and leverage from the length of the hook) will be squarely on ONE SIDE of the weld, which will almost certainly fail.

My guess is the first time you try to use that, the hook and plate will separate. And if you're pulling with any force, they will separate in dramatic (and hopefully not deadly) fashion. I'd strongly suggest you reconsider before using those.
  3. vmderrick

vmderrick Junior Member

Way to rain on his parade. I think they look excellent boss.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah i wouldent use those. i would have used a diffrent way to secure them to the plate then the one weld spot, but i dont feel like explaining it or having to draw up a diagram of what i would have done.
  5. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Wow you must think I am an dumb ass. I build some of the best tube frame race cars in the North East. The plate is 3/8" thick the hook is throught the plated and welded on both sides, and the front weld is 2 passes oved 3/8" of an inch wide. On top of that I have a masters degree in metallurgy, and mechanical engineering, and companys bring pressure vessels to me to be welded from all over the us. I have built many of these and never had any of these fail.
  6. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

check mate? we're all friends here. just looking out for each other, thats all

lets get some pics of them on the truck!
  7. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Oh I know, I am just letting him know what backs the way they were made. It will be a bit before I get them on, gonna get them powder coated first.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Where will these be mounted on the truck? I know up front, but curious as to where. My buddy has the same truck and I am thinking this might be our next project. Can you post some pics of them mounted up?
  9. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Here is the link to the pics here on plowsite. They fit in the bumper at the factory location.
  10. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

i think you forgot the link
  11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Looks good!

I was going to say, the only way id trust them was if the hook went through the plate and welded on both sides but looks like you did that already. Kinda makes me feel good though since I dont have the education that you do. Nice job though, should look pretty tough!
  12. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If the ram has a plow they might have taken them off. When they put the plow on my 06 they pulled them off and gave them to me.
  13. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

The truck doesn't have a plow but it does have the plow prep.wich includes a delete for the tow hooks.

Sorry about the link http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=80020
  14. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Putting the hook throught the plate comes from experience, and common sence not from the education. It means you think about how things work, and needs to work, and that is better than any education
  15. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I wouldn't pull a snowmobile out of the snow with those hooks.
  16. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

chalk one up for us welders!!!!

a welded joint is stronger then the surrounding metal when done properly!

what did you use.. 7018?
  17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

those would scare the he11 out me as well.....i don't even trust them in stock chevy form..

i am not knocking you welding....but would i put that on my 7k lb truck......i duuno.......

do the ford commercial thing....hang your truck from a crane by them...then we can all rest easy!..lol
  18. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

To be fair, your original picture just shows us a hook welded on one side to a piece of plate. You didn't include the info with that picture. It is easy to see why some guys, myself included, jumped to a conclusion about your fabricating skills.

Welded as you later explain, they'll carry the max load that the hooks can take, and that may not be as much as you like. I, like others, have snapped off or otherwise twisted those Chevy hooks all to pieces.

I'm in the off-road world, where we often get to use our fabricated tow points at levels that most folks would never see. We do winch pulls straight up rock walls, and out of mud up to the middle of the doors --often with a doubled-line 12K (24K) winch doing the pulling. For getting someone out of a snowy ditch, your hooks should do fine. I'd build something heavier for bigger pulling efforts.

Check out the Ford Super Duty tow hooks. They are about double the strength of the Chevy parts, and still capable of fitting your application with the fabrication skills you have.

Here's a pic:

Otherwise, for really hard pulls, I prefer a larger tow point, typically a piece of 3/4" or 1" by 3" stock that pierces completely through a box section tube, and is welded all around. I've actually suspended my off-road truck by these type hooks with no damage.
  19. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

X2, I would be a little worried but its not like its a mud truck. They will only be used in an emergency I hope, so they will work perfect. I bent the hell out of the hooks on my Tahoe but it took alot to do it, pulling at an angle messed them up good
  20. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I dont mean to call you out but it really sounds like you are crying because someone said they wouldnt trust them. No reason to post all of your credentials to prove a point.

You have two masters degrees and build some of the best tube frame race car chassis in the NorthEast yet cant afford a used set of dodge tow hooks? Why did you even bother looking for stock hooks if you have built "many of these" in the past?