1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

home made plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by whitef150, Dec 10, 2008.

1. whitef150

whitef150 Junior Member

I am new to this site, planning on making a plow for my truck. the truck is a 03 f150 4x4, anyone got any plans to build a plow or mounting one to a f150

2. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

why not buy a used one? or new, but I asume the money is why you want to build your own?

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Buy a used one, you will spend more $$$ than its worth.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Fabbing up a mount is very dangerous unless you have experience.

5. JBFab

JBFab Junior Member

I think this is probably doable in the home shop if it's not going to be used for commercial or "for hire" purposes, I had an idea of cutting plow sections out of an old water heater, that's my plan for the blade I'm making for a riding mower.

6. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i think youll spend over 1000$ on metal and it has no resale value. I would buy a used one for 1500$. and it will have minimum 800$ resale, that is if you keep it a while and service it properly.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

you probably should have put that part in the first post. Do a search, a new member just did one and posted pictures. Should give you somewhere to start.

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

he didnt start the thread

9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

don't reinvent the wheel

10. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

if its going on a lawn mower for 300 bucks you can get the plow from canadian tire well worth the money

11. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

oops..................

12. JBFab

JBFab Junior Member

sorry guys, no I wasn't the OP - it looks like he wants to make one for a truck, I was just giving a suggestion on a source for material that is already rolled. (The tank on most water heaters is the same thickness or thicker than most personal grade snowplows) Let me reiterate that I would advise against a homemade plow for anything other than personal use.

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Come on guys, give the guy some credit. let's not kill any creativity. I would bet lots of talented people here could make a plow as good or better than a commercial grade plow. Whether he's the guy, maybe not, but hey you'll never now.

If not, I still would like to see the final outcome. Remember new company usually start up in someones garage.:rolleyes:

14. jwkv

jwkv Member

I work in a metal fab shop and thought about building one. I ended up getting all the the Meyer metalwork/mount/blade for $500 CAD Just had to buy a pump. Just had a little work to do one weekend to modify and fix the blade an I have been going for a couple of years with it. Cheaply and with not much labour. If I had of made one it would have been a lot of work to, pardon the phrase, Micky Moused one together.
    Now then, On to the original post. If you are going to build it, build it strong. You don't want it folding up in front of your truck when you are plowing.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008