1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Home made plow mount Question/Western Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MrPlow705, Dec 5, 2014.

1. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

Attached are a few images of the mount that came with my plow that i bought. The gentleman i bought it from had the same truck as me and said it fit perfect. I did however cut off and replace the angle iron with new stuff, as the old plates where crap.

I purchased some 3/4 Grade 8 bolts, and am wondering how many bolts I should put per side.

Should I just drill through the plate, and through both sides of the frame and bolt it that way? As you can see, there's no real way to put bolts in vertically, just horizontally.

I was told to remove my tow hooks, and plastic bezel, and bolt this on, and the receivers will line up and allow the light/pump rack to slide in through the tow hook holes in the bumper.

Any advice/help is appreciated. The truck is an 06 silverado 1500 for the record.

photo 1 (7).JPG

photo 2 (9).JPG

photo 1 (7).JPG

photo 2 (9).JPG
  2. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

That's pretty custom... If it was me I'd use at least 3-4 bolts through the frame, but I would drill them out and sleeve them first... Also I would think about adding angle to the other side so it was a slip fit on the frame....

[*edit: This would give you double sheer on the bolts, similar to having 8 holding it in each side since they are all on the same plane with no vertical attachments.]

That said, the way the lower mount is tacked to that square stock, something else is going to give before the brackets/bolts through the frame.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd buy the correct mount myself. Cobbling up mounts will bite you in the backside eventually
  4. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

No doubt its not perfect, but It will do the job for plowing mine and few other driveways this winter im sure. Im all ears if someone can direct me to a mount that fit like this one does, without having to cut my bumper utilizing the tow hook holes. Most mounts ive seen use tubular light rack and receivers, where as this one is using 2"square. Id have to find a bracket that has square receivers or cut and replace the square bars on light rack with the corresponding tubes.

I've still got some welding and reinforcing to do, and am thinking about doing the C channel idea to wrap around the frame.