1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

home made box wing's

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by az landscaping, Jan 6, 2011.

1. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

made these out of 1/4'' steel plate and tubing.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

how do they work for lots

3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Why are they so little? You made them yourself, so you could make them any size you wanted. Why so small?

4. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Be careful running that plow with the wings on. I think the tripping action of the plow will be hindered and it may be dangerous.

5. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

used them yesterday worked pretty good still some run off, but no matter how big u go u still have run off. I made them 1.5' x 2 should of gone 2x2 at least. I might go bigger but i have storage units that are pretty tight it did help no question about it. Time saved is money saved it all adds up. Don;t won't to put to much stress on trany.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Is that a home made back drag too?

7. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

yes. I couldn't have the wing's that are made for boss because the back dragger made would interfere with the bar that has to be attached with the wing's,so i have all in one . I been using the back dragger for year's and i couldn't do without it.

8. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Not so. We call these "collectors" around here and everyone ... and I mean everyone runs these on their straight blades. I ran them for over a decade and they work awesome ... they keep the blade from tripping prematurely but it will trip when it has to. They keep the cutting edge from digging in so much on gravel and the like and help the cutting edge to ride over abrupt changes in the surface ... they really do work well. Normally they are cut to the exact shape of the mold board for aesthetic and structural reasons but the idea is the same. They turn a straight blade into a decent plow for lots and such and cut a nice edge in banks but can be a hinderence on long narrow roadways once the banks get built up. The windrowing and throwing ability of the blade is obviously diminished some when attached.

9. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

I made a second set 2'x2' and they work a great more snow in the scoop, but i caught some hard snow over and over and the pressure of the snow bent the sides. So i ended up putting braces from plow to plate i will find out how they work tommorow with snow on it's way.

10. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

I made a second set 2'x2' and they work a great more snow in the scoop, but i caught some hard snow over and over and the pressure of the snow bent the sides. So i ended up putting braces from plow to plate i will find out how they work tomorow with snow on it's way.

11. snow patrol

Are you referring to trip edge plows or full trip plows? I can see how it would not interfere with a trip edge, but a full trip plow? If your plow hits a manhole cover for instance won't the sides prevent the plow from tripping since the sides are firmly affixed to the plow and they extend out in front of the plow? Won't it have a jack-leg effect? Also, what happens when the sides come into contact with a an obstacle like a curb that is taller than the angle at the lower front of the panel for instance? The side panel is firmly affixed, won't trip, and will cause either an abrupt stop, the panel to buckle, or both. I'm not at all suggesting that it doesn't increase productivity. I'm just saying that it limits or completely prevents the plow's tripping action to function as it should. And in doing so may create dangerous and/or unsafe conditions

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  12. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

I have a trip edge plow would not do it with a trip plow. I have 5 storage unit's and one of them is 5 row's 50 yard's long and it has to be dragged all the way down. Main area is out back to stack snow and with the 2x2 box wing's i made cut my time in half it was beautiful in and out in one hour with 3'' of snow very little run off. I was going to do this last year but after january all snow went south so never got around to it. Hit some ice bank's with these 1/4 inch thick plate's and a slight tweek in the plate's but still didn't affect them at all. Saw some of them demond wing's on u tube and it look's like they are plastic i'd imagine they would snap in a hart beat for $525.00 they can keep them,those wing's neede to be made out of at least 1'4 steel.

13. snow patrol

Trip edge, makes more sense now.

Not your typical plastic. Made of UHMW. incredibly strong, won't snap as you'd imagine, and depending on the application, has many advantages over steel.

I like your ingenuity and creativity! Keep up the good work!

14. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I'm talking about full-trip plows yes ... there are literally hundreds of them running around here with these collectors bolted on. They normally only protrude about 2 inches (maybe a little more) past the top curl of the blade so they are around 16 to 18 inches deep as I recall (mine anyway ... on a Curtis blade.). They work amazing ... I guess it's one of those things you would have to try for yourself to understand but the moldboard still trips just fine when it has to. The same way my new VXT trips just fine when in full scoop or V.

15. snow patrol

Agreed. Another quick question, how far does the collector extend beyond the cutting edge of the plow?

16. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

As I stated above (or tried to), about 16" to 18". I'll try to find a pic ... I have one somewhere. Just don't have the time right now.

17. snow patrol

I misunderstood. I thought when you said 16" to 18" deep you meant at its deepest point which typically is about half way up the mold board not at the cutting edge. Thanks.

18. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Around here they are cut to the curved profile of the moldboard so the deepest measurement would be at the cutting edge yes.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Snow Patrol- don't you build the demon wings on youtube?

20. snow patrol

:nod: .