1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Home made box ends for my Gledhill plow.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Duncan90si, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

To kill some time since it hasn't snowed yet, I decided to make some box ends for my Gledhill.

I used 1/4" plate steel, 3/8" angle iron, along with some other misc pieces of scrap. I already had the paint and the rubber edges laying around. I've got a few bucks into the 3/4" grade 8 bolts and the adjustable link, thats it.

I welded the left end directly on the plow. I don't really see a need to remove it for what I do with it. I braced it with a piece of 1/4" angle iron. I might put one more bolt in the edge and replace the one smaller washer with a bigger one now that I bought some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The left wing I made removable so I can still windrow snow if I choose. Its fastened with 4 3/4" grade 8 bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I made one mount on the back side of the plow. The bolt is welded on vertically, so its kinda like a hinge. I set the wing down on that bolt first. I did this so one man can easily install the wing without having to try to hold the wing in place while scrambling to get a bolt or two in.

[​IMG]

I also used an adjustable top link from a class 1 3 point hitch to give it more strength to prevent bending or bowing.

[​IMG]

I think I will work well for what I need it for. I didn't bother making the ends parallel with the truck. That would have taken a lot of work, that for what I need wasn't worth it IMO. I'm content on how it turned out. Now I just need some snow.

[​IMG]

3. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

looks real good buddy! hopefully we will get something this weekend!

4. THE-BOSS-PLOWS

THE-BOSS-PLOWS Senior Member

Looks Good. ( : In Eastern Pa we might get 6 + inches

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Holy yellow paint batman! Thats a lot of yellow paint. And pretty thick too. Guess the salt wont be getting through that now will it?

6. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

the end plate on the left looks good but why

would you block the discharge side ??...that plow is made to throw the snow not hold it in

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

maybe for when he wants to hold it in

8. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

its not good to hold things in....

9. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I don't plow any roads. I plow large shopping plazas. The right side is removable so I can still discharge is out the right side if I want.

A lot of my accounts have specific spots to pile the snow. Instead of just pushing all the snow to one end of the lot, they have several spots they want the snow. It is hard to direct a lot of snow to particular spots with a one way plow. This way I can have to smaller trucks put it into rows and I'll push the rows with the International, kinda like a poor mans push box so to speak. Am I making any sense? :D

I know it obviously won't work as good as a push box, but considering I don't have a large loader, or a push box, its better than what I had. I'm making what I have as efficient as possible for my accounts. I have a whopping $30 into making the ends, so why not?

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I like it! fits your needs very well it seems and you left it adaptable if need be to a different situation if it arises! Nice job!

11. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Damn that is one sweet plow.

I should have kept it.

12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Very nice rig and plow! If it works for you run with it. Good luck this year.

13. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I was gona say it looked familiar that blade.