1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Home made Back Rack

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by iakentdoz, Nov 23, 2007.

1. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I don't like the Back Rack I have on my truck. I just does not protect the edge of the cab and there is no flat area on the top to install flashing lights etc. So I built my own from scratch.

I need to know if I should add the flat bar stock to the middle?
    I thought about adding one piece centered in the middle section? But maybe doing nothing and leaving it open as is. It's for protection and I don't haul allot of things that would hit the center part of the window. Plus since this truck is a 6.5 bed there are time when I might need to open the rear window and slide 12' 14' 16' etc lumber into the cab. So, what should I do?

Options
    1) Do nothing, Leave it as is.
    2) Install 1 piece centered in the middle
    3) Install 2 more pieces and fill out the middle

Thanks, and I hope everyone had a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

RS_rack10.jpg

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

id say leave it open if u ever break the window dont come looking for me thou. if u didnt have a back slider then i would cover it. but since u do make full use of it. and by the way thats a nice bar

3. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Thanks, I'll post more pictures after I have it cleaned up and primed and painted and all the lights on it. I kind of like it open too, another option would be to make something removable to go in the middle.

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a good clean fabrication -- nice job! I agree about leaving the center open -- most of your protection will come from the rest of it anyway.

5. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I think I will leave it open, plus if it does get broken, it's only the slider and not the main window.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Not really. You still have to get the whole thing replaced. Found that out the hard way.

7. torquet

torquet Junior Member

Looks good. I would put one bar in the middle. nice job...

8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I think if I were building one and had a slider, I would want to have a removable section for the center. Not so much for loads but to make it harder to be broken into. The pins, or whatever hardware was used to hold it in place, could be set up so they had to be removed from inside the cab.

9. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

Greetings,
    Nice custom fab on the rack. I had the same problem with my GMC 5500. The standard backpack (brand) wasen't nearly big enough. It just barely covered the rear window. My local metal shop (Jim's welding - Danbury, CT) ws able to build a rack that fit. They based it on the "backrack" design. Now that I've got the 5500 - I'm finding out that stuff like this has to be custom made. Starts getting pricy - quick. BUT, the rack looks good and fits the truck. I guess you want to play......ya gotta pay :salute:

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good!!...how much did you spend on making that ...money wise?

11. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I spent about $100 on the steel and may another $25 on paint, etc.

12. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Update

I got the new rack installed on the truck tonight, just in time for the snow storm coming this weekend (pictures of it on the truck tomorrow - to dark outside) :cry:

pictures of tabs on the top tube for the new 55w rear facing flood lights. A 1" access hole was drilled in the top so the lights can be bolted down and wires run inside of the tube. The hole will be filled with a plastic plug and painted.

Also in the 3nd & 4th pic you see the mounting plate for the LED Stop/Turn Lights

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

13. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Picture of the New LED Stop/Turn light. This light has a hi/lo wire and works great as stop/turn.

3rd pic is the wire access holes drilled on the under side of the top tube (rack is upside down in this pic) so the wires can be fished out and run down the side tubes. Also, this access hole is on the front side facing the cab and can not be seen from the back. The holes again will be filled with a plastic plug and painted.

18.jpg

19.jpg

24.jpg

14. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Wires inside the top tub can be accessed via both ends on the top tub. On the top tub ends, I cut a plate and welded angle iron inside of the tube to screed the plate to. To hide the screws, I add a sealed marker light (more lights is all ways good) on both sides.

16.jpg

25.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

15. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Again I had to drill a few access hole so the wires for the 3 center marker lights could be wired up (rack is upside down in the first pic)
    The next pic is of the 1" hole filled with a plastic plug and last pic is the marker lights on.

Now all I need is for the new Whelen Responder LP (R2LPPA) Super LED Mini Lightbar and two Whelen 500 Series LIN6's Super-LED lightheads to show up. The LIN6's will go the the front of the top tube and I will have to weld some type of plate on the center part of the top tube to bolt the lightbar to the rack.

17.jpg

22.jpg

21.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  16. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Wow. That turned out so nice. Looks like you've built some things before.
    I wanted to get some ideas on custom building one myself, and a search lead me here.

On the outer uprights, is that a one piece square tube bent or is that 2 welded together. Also any more pics of it installed?

17. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

now thats a classy man looks better then what you can buy in the aftermarket !:nod:

18. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

That looks Great!!!!...how much do you want so you can make me one?:rolleyes::D:D

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good. How are you attaching it to the bed. Also, what size material did you use.
    Thanks.
    T.J.