1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Home Depot Pricing?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Snowman19, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

How much are the Home Depots going for? I hear they are going for cheap? Like dirty cheap. Any input would be greatly appreciated
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

Home Cheapo
  3. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Do you mean buying a franchise of Home depot? Not sure how much.... :confused:
  4. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Sorry, I meant for plowing:waving:
  5. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Our Home Depot here opened in march so I have yet to hear how they are with snow removal.

Actually I have no clue what firm is looking after the stores here in Canada :confused:
  6. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Aren't they usually subcontracted out by the maintenance companies who have the floors and cleaning?
  7. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I just want to see how much they are going for!!:waving:
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Here is the way I see it. Home Depot in most areas work through a National Service Provider (NSP) which has a contract with them to supply all the services. the NSP like to make a profit and sence they have already bid for the work with HD then they like to set the price. They are not in the snow plowing business but subcontract out to people like us. as they like to make money like everyone else they want to pay less then they bid the job for. Only thing is it is a lot less then any of us want or need to sucseed in business. Another way they make there money is to make there contract so tight that if you forget to dot an i or cross a T in your paperwork they will not pay you for the work you have preformed. Don't be late with the paperwork eather. Another thing to lookout for is if the NSP should falter and go bankrupt you will be the one to loos not them. all they do is change there name.
    If everyone got together and would ask for a retainer up front on these jobs then the problem could be resolved but getting every plower to aggree to this would be a feet in itself.
    There is always the new plower that would like to say ":Look I have the contract to plow HD" but at what cost? his business? You are in this line to make a profit so don't work for nothing. You need to know how much you need to charge to make a living not let someone else tell you what they are going to pay you. That is why you are self employed!!
    I am not saying they are bad to work for but the way I see it less then 1% of the people working for them are happy.

Do a saerch on NSP, national service provider, Symbot, US Maintance, Snow management group, to name a few.
  9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Just remember that Home Depot Canada, is a seperate company from Home Depot. Atlease it is its own subsidery (spelling?) So they might do a better job with snow removal then in the states. I would contact the regional headquarters and see what they say.
  10. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Anybody have any idea of how much they charge or a guess at it.
  11. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

As stated above call the firm looking after Home Depot's stores and talk price.

The price you get reflects experience,insurance,equipment,the areas going rates.

Last I heard it was US Maintenance doing the stores in the states.
  12. fincat

fincat Junior Member

home depot

i plow a home depot,and yes it is run by us maintenance, the contract is negotiable at first offer, you need to not accept there first offer and counter offer them immediately.
  13. snowace

snowace Member

Home Depot

I also heard thay were cheap.
  14. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Rumor has it....

To give you an idea of what a large Home Depot type lot goes for up in my neck of the woods,This isnt a Home Depot but a large box store just the same, for the season with the contractor suppling all materials $80k.I am pretty sure he has to use one of the high tech ice melters also....
    Just a ball park as I dont want to throw anyone under the bus.....
  15. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Yeah, cheap is the word!! Thanks Snowace
  16. GSE

GSE Senior Member

How many events do you guys do up in Conway? What's your avg snow fall? I plow several big box type stores in the southern part of the state, and I'll tell ya, I'm not getting anywhere near 80K!
  17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Id do probably any Home Depot for $80,000. In fact id be realy happy if I could get 5-6 of them at that price !!
  18. Oshkosh

Get out there and bid them...

Not that hard, only a hand full of guys submitted bids and consensus was/is that the contractor that won it ,took it on cheap .....remember not a "Home Depot" but a National box store with similar parking etc...Break it down to average snowfall, material,equipment,insurance etc...$80k doesn't go that far....
  19. Oshkosh

Maybe its time to move north!

Companies work for less?
    I don't know the weather stats up here just moved up here in the past year myself.
    $80k didn't even raise an eyebrow with me coming from Massachusetts.Those kind of numbers where being thrown around ten years ago down on the North Shore(Industrial Parks,Shopping centers etc..)....A company with three 10yd spreaders could do close to that in a good season with Mass Highway(Been there done that).A bad season sanding is about 200 hours each....
  20. snowace

snowace Member

In SE Michigan you'd probably be lucky to get 80,000 for 4 stores 20,000 a store plow/salt just a guess, but who am i