1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

home built plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by evil snowman, Jan 5, 2004.

1. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

i am building another plow for my little sears tractor. my first one does not have a trip so if i hit something it hurts. i have a machine shop i can use so i was going to build a fisher style plow witha trip edge on it. any body have ideas on what kind of springs to use? :confused:

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Maybe garage door springs. Check Home Depot or Sears Hardware, they carry an assortment of springs

3. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

i thought of that but i need compresion springs. thanks anyway.

4. blades

blades Junior Member

If you need compression springs, you'd probably have to use something on the order of die springs to achieve the pressure you need. Problem is, they may lack the travel you need. They are available in really high-pressure, but are relatively short. I've seen much more selection available in pull-style springs at hardware stores. If you are so inclined, you may want to redesign the brackets to allow for this type of spring.

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Evil, I like you ingenuity. Can you post pictures?

6. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

thanks for the compliments. i will post pix as soon as i get a chance.

evil snowman-:bluebounc

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  7. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I have a '65 Deere 110 tractor with a about a 42" trip plow. Not the Fisher style trip, so they are extension springs, but if you went that route, you could just use Deere springs. J. Deere is good at stocking parts, even for the old 110s. If you look around, you could probably find used stuff for the 110s. They are also built well. Just a thought!

8. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Heh, just had a better, easier idea. Why not skip the trip and just add a thin Uedge? My HD fisher trips a lot less with a u edge now. I bet you they make thinner ones that would work with your plow. You could ask one of the sponsors on the site that carries them, it could be a lot easier on the tractor in the long run.

9. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

what is a uedge made of? where can i get one?:confused:

10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

maybe a coil over shock from a motorcycle or something like that. or a coil spring off a small car, from a junk yard.

11. gcfisher75

gcfisher75 Junior Member

maybe the spring out of a set of maxi brakes on a big rig??

12. blades

blades Junior Member

Kind of hard to offer suggestions on springs if we don't have a pic of it!:D

13. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

tractor plow i scrapped together

..if it takes the pic

14. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

.the mount... and a-frame hook up

15. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

simplified angling

16. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

raises and lowers from deck handle

17. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

The u-edge is a urethane edge. Do a search on the plowing threads and you'll find tons of info. You would install it with a bit of an overhang below the plow and it will give as needed. I catch curb edges with mine all time, they are stronger than you woul think. Also acts like squegee.

I think the manufacturer is MPT and they call it arctic groomer. They have a website with dealer listings. There was distributor on this board that was very helpful with all applications and knew his stuff. I don't recall his name, but you should find it in the threads if you do a search.Good Luck!

One other thing, if you're looking for parts, find your local John Deere dealer and look in their back lot. I got a lot of attachments for my 110 that way for a reasonable price.

18. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

thanks for all the help. my digital camera is screwed up, i will post pics of it when i can. the plow i built, i think i will just modify it stead of building a whole plow again. the one i built is two half sections of a 35 gallon steel drum that are bolted together (hard to stick weld tin). the a-frame is made of 1-1/4" pipe. the cutting edge is four inches high by 3/8" thick (over kill-good thing). the blade angles left right and straight with a spring loaded dog that goes into a notch on my sector. :bluebounc

19. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

i posted pics on webshots. copy and paste the address in my signiture in to your address tool bar to see my rig.

20. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

link doesn't work, where in North Jersey are ya.