1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Home Advisor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fourbycb, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Has anyone had dealing's or worked with a Company called Home Advisor who finds work such as Snow Removal, Landscaping, and such from Residentials or small Business's Looking for some feedback
  2. SteveinNEPA

SteveinNEPA Junior Member

So this is my first post here, I WILL make an intro, but I figured Id tell you something about Home advisor before you have a stroke because of them. They used to be called SERVICE MAGIC,

SOME people use them with good results, but you will find more bad reviews than good, heres why -

It is a pay per lead service, mainly. YOU pay X amount per lead, whether you get the account or not. They are also famous for giving you leads that have already been given to someone else and when you get there to visit the potential customer only to be told, "Oh John Smith was already here 3 weeks ago and did it already".

They also offer you a monthly direct service program. You pay X amount a month for X amount of leads, the potential customer calls you directly and once again, it is NOT a guaranteed client. So unless you are an Ace closer or can grossly underbid to get the job, stick with flyers and word of mouth.

My experience with them? I had to help a friend of mine who got involved with them, got charged through the nose, canceled his membership and STILL got charged for 7 months after cancelling... Still hasnt seen his money back. I get calls from them every couple months trying to get me to sign on, every time its met with not interested... click...

Just my opinion, and hope you do your research on them before you sign on the dotted line.
  3. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

Down here in NC, Service Magic called me about a year ago regarding me signing up with them. I told them I really wasn't interested because I only served a small area and I was really busy anyway. The salesman swore up and down that they could define what leads I got so I wouldn't get charged for stuff I didn't want or jobs not in the area I serviced. I'm a solo LCO and I only do lawn maintenance contracts in certain subdivisions.

So I say I'll give them a try since he assured me it would be worth it. I started getting a few leads about people wanting leaf clean-ups and miscellaneous yard jobs not in the neighborhoods I work. I called them and said that was what I did not want. They didn't charge me and said they'd fix it.

I got another lead for something I didn't want, got charged for the lead and they said they couldn't remove the charge. It wasn't expensive so I told them to cancel my service, don't call me again, and I promised them I'd tell everyone who asked how sorry their company was.

They've called me a couple of times since then trying to get me to come back. You can guess what I told them. :cool:

In my opinion, they're all about making a dollar any way they can. Service appears to be secondary to getting paid, no matter how it comes to them. My guess is they'll change their name again in about a year or two.
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to pay for leads offer your existing customers an incentive (discount, dinner out, etc.) for leads that pan out.
  5. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Thanks for the Input. All it took was these 2 replies for me to make up my mind I was real leary about signing up, the phone sale person kept trying to get me to commit over the phone and seem to be prying into my business. I informed him I would need to research there company and get some info. Well the info I have obtained here has more than made my mind up that if they called back the answer would be CLICK Hang UP
  6. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I would generally agree with the other posters regarding home advisor/ servicemagic and the crap leads you have to sort through, however, I have acquired a couple great leads from them including commercial accounts and high end residentials that I have had for years, one that grosses around 40-60k per year. Overall in 8 years I've spent less than 1k with them(when they were still service magic) and made tens of thousands in profit from these accts over the years. That may be the exception and not the rule, and I would not pay for leads now.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  7. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Used them for over 2 yrs now with great results. I also do computers networking Comm sound video etc. Keep a spreadsheet with each leads cost/profit percentages. If you can close jobs on phone your golden. Don't use them for any plow leads. I'm a sub for LC.