1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Holy Crud - Watching the Radar

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by darryl g, Feb 6, 2010.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Wow - Was just watching the radar loop. It sure is snowing hard down in Virginia. Radar was in the red zone in some places. Colonial Beach looks like they're getting dumped on. Del-mar-va penninsula too. Dang!
  2. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

we already have about 10-12 inches already. they say we should get about 30" when its all said and done. and another to come on tuesday with a follow up on friday into saturday next week. but we r open for our customers.

we also have a boss shipment in route. it is do in about 2:00 am. yes we r still getting plows in for this season.
  3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Well looks like you got another 20 inches to go before its over. DC area is suppose to get 4 inches a hour, with all that wind thats just insane. :dizzy: Really too bad that this wasn't mid week and all the politicians would have been stuck in Washington for a few days, they probably would have got something accomplished. Wishful thinking.
  4. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Well I hope you brought your sleeping bag! Good to hear you're committed to your customers and are keeping your inventory up this late in the season.

I love that my Boss dealer is a AAA towing garage. If it's snowing, there's somebody there. And if I call AAA in 2 of the 3 towns I work in, they will get dispatched. I haven't needed them yet, but nice to know that "my boys" will be the ones to come and rescue me. They got my plow on within a day and rolled me right in for a couple of minor problems too. Can't beat that.

Well hope you all stay safe down there. I'm sure it's going to be a bit of an ordeal. That's enough snow to paralyze things for days.
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Hope you guys got a generator too. Power is bound to go out with all that heavy snow and wind. Be safe fellas.
  6. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

we have air and generator packs for our service trucks if needed. and yes we have a full kitchen and sleep quarters. our staff is working in shifts to service our customers. even our machine shop is up and running making parts that maybe needed to some up and running.

let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Are they roads crews able to take care of that much snow down there? Up here it is a way of life. Guess I'm asking if you normally get much snow?
  8. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

h--- no!!!!!!!! they have close some of the intersate roads. these roads have never been closed before in there history. looks like another longggggg weekend at esi.
  9. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I was amazed last nite watching the radar, stayed up til 2. Some areas along the shore were just getting hammered. Chincoteague Island had really heavy cells over it for hours...poor horsies. Yah, I know they're the least of your problems down there.

ESI, are you getting a lot of people wanting to have plows installed right now, as in yesterday? Any guys down there could literally pay for their plow in just this one storm. I don't imagine it would be hard to find work since that amount of snow is beyond almost everyone's capability to clear it themself.

This got me thinking again that I really should go get a set of chains for my rig. I keep thinking about it but never quite get to ordering them. Without chains, I don't think a plow truck would do much good in 30 inches of heavy wet snow, even with a V plow and plenty of ballast.
  10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I doubt plows will do any good for those getting 30" of snow. They won't be able to keep up with 4"/Hr. It's loader time!! Without skidsteers and heavy equipment you're screwed! This will be a real disaster for all snow removal folks, not to mention everyone in general. Hope every one can be patient and remain calm and safe.
  11. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

:realmad: why couldnt this storm track north i wish we could of got that storm
  12. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

becareful what you wish for....those kind of storms are no fun no matter where they hit
  13. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Couldn't agree more-anyone that does hasn't lived/plowed through a storm like that. I'm all for making money,long hours etc but storms that size and intensity are NO fun. Way to hard on equipment and man power-that's a good scenario-not even discussing equipment failure/breakage and where/how to get parts when that happens.:dizzy:
  14. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

this is my first season actually plowing,ive shoveld the past 2 years,i think it would be a great experience,and to help me get my plowing skills up,i plowed a few lots with the guy i worked with the past 2 years.
  15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

:laughing: No it wouldn't! 2" is good for getting your plow skills up to snuff. 25-30" is good for getting you killed by your boss.
  16. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

A bad stormlike that is NO place for a rookie!:dizzy:
  17. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 1000%. Big storms suck... bad!
  18. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I am not sure that 30 inches of snow is normal for anyone

Is 30" of snow normal for one event for anyone? I don't think so. I think big storms like that are a pain in the butt. We had 24" in six hours in 1994 and it was a big pain. I hope I never live through one of those again. I hope those guys get through without any big problems. Good luck guys.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  19. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I believe out in the Rockies & in heavy lake effect areas (Pulaski, NY) its pretty common. Those storms are killers for anyone, we had 4 feet in a week years ago, don't ever want it again. That is why I have 3 guys trained to run our wheel loader should it be needed for non- stop action.
    My friend & I were talking after seeing them plow the interstate on TV with pick-ups. With the shape NY is in why wasn't a convoy of "mercinay trucks" sent down, with state trucks double wings. We just drove clear across the state Friday, & there wasn't a lick of snow. I'm sure the drivers would've like the OT & it would have generated some need money into state coffers. BTW I'm sure FEMA is picking up the tab anyway for this.
  20. I love big storms, All the lowballers with their old 1/2 tons fall flat on their faces.

Big Storms & Big Drifts need big equipment and blowers.

Had a guy with 5ft drifting on his 1000ft laneway call me in December because "His Guy" who charges him $20 wouldn't handle it and he had to leave for work in a hour. Said since there was so much snow he'd pay me $30 :laughing: Told him the only way to do it was with a tractor with a loader and blower. It would be $200.... I wonder if he ever got out ?