1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Holy Cow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mullis56, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We were contacted about doing some properties for an out of town (paper pusher) but they are also a contractor in their local market, so they know the game. Here is a scary part, they had issues with a local contractor that took care of the properties last year at the rates below and had issues. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

The property owners recommended us to the out of town (paper pusher) as they were pleased when we took care of the properties in the past direct with them. The paper pusher is not really a national company but more regional. Here are the numbers:

-56.4 acres: $40,000
    -4.85 acres: $8,000
    -7.47 acres: $11,700
    -4.25 acres: $7,000

Needless to say we were double the total for all sights on the large property! Here is the most scary part:
    -100% LIABILITY

WTF is this world coming to! I politely declined the work and told them, "good luck," for the contractor they had issues with, and also told them that they, "got what they paid for...issues." This contractor really can't stay in business I have seen some USM numbers and they are double these. BTW-we average 20 saltings per year and 27.5" inches of snowfall, but still get real!

FORGOT TO MENTION: 3 year deal with option for 2 more years and 1st year was last year.
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

the biggest one isn't even close to the pay ratio the smaller 3 are...
  3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Yikes not even worth your time.

-56.4 acres: $40,000 = 1 cent a sq.ft :dizzy:

The others come out to 3 cents a sq.ft thats still nuts. Was salting included in that?
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

That's usually the way it is. The bigger they are, the less they go for "per acre", because it's a status symbol that these nitwits seem to "have to have" (pretty sure they're trying to compensate for something). They'd rather have 1 large property at $30/hour versus smaller properties that average $180/hour. Not too smart, but I guess that's why so many don't go after the "big stuff".

Same thing happens with salt pricing, I get for an acre what some of these boneheads are getting for 5. :dizzy: One of my local competitors was telling me he gets $80/app, regardless of the property size. He claims "it all averages out in the end". :laughing:
  5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes it includes salt and NO CAP and NOTHING ADDITIONAL FOR HAULING SNOW IF NEEDED! We did walk away!
  6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

What a waste of anyone's time for even considering that for that price.
  7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

BUT someone well, equipment is going to be up for sale in that area next spring
  8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Thats got to be a joke, I cannot imagine anyone with enough equipment to handle a 56 acre site that does not realize they will not make money at that price. Even someone who plans on renting the equipment, they have to be able to do basic addition to find out that the 40,000 wouldn't even cover your winter rental costs for that much equipment.

What kind of site is it that is 56 acres? Thats huge.
  9. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Some people are just crazy!! Before I would work for those prices I would have a big auction sale!!
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Some people are crazy, some people are ignorant and some people just try to take advantage of any one they can.
  11. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

is 56 acres the lot size? or the property size?
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Sorry to disagree with you, but you missed out on a great opportunity.....

...to tell him how insulting those numbers were.
  13. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

56 Acres is parking/pavement area!

12 outlets (i.e. - banks, fast food, etc.)

Kohls, Kroger, Old Navy, etc., a regular strip mall that is almost 1-mile long!

That pricing on that property is bad but others are bad too just not as bad!!!!
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Can you name the clown?
  15. me!

me! Member

the others are bad, but the big one is the one that will bankrupt a company.

i cant even imagine how they could come up with those numbers. Do you know the other company and are they still in biz. I know you had some good storms last year that would have eaten that in one shot.
  16. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

As far as if they are in business? I think they are if not in jail for other things! Remember they had problems with them so they were looking for someone new........
  17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Those are closer to per month prices than per season prices IMO
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Worse part is 3 retards with brand new house payment range truck payments will take the contract ! All 3 will work every event and at the end of the season will just break even. They were used and don"t even realize it. Maybe NEXT YEAR we will make a profit. Yeah Dude's you look down at my truck. But it's paid for !
  19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Weaselly middle men screwing people with pathetic numbers.
  20. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I'll do it for that pricing...that is per push correct? :laughing: