1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Holly Cow I'm Going Thru Alot Of Sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Makndust, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I bought the speedcaster II. This is the first time that I have ever sanded. The reason that I bought a tailgate sander is because I have no way to handle bulk material. I have been sanding Town Pump Convienence store. They have probably 12 truck pump islands and 8 gas pump islands, along with a resterant on the east side of the building. In order to sand on each side of all pumps, the entries, and parking around the building I am going thru about 14 - 24 bags of sand (60 LBS each). Right now I have only been able to find pretty fine sand that is bagged. I was wondering if something with some rock (probably the size of pensil erasers) would go alittle farther. My wife went out and sanded the other day and went thru 23 bags. I'm afraid that they are gonna sh*t when they get the bill ($8 / bag + sanding time). Any input would be appreciated.
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Are u trying turn that place into the town beach? do u mix any de-icer?and u should use mason style sand its gritty for traction.Do u have to clean up the sand at the end of the seaon
  3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Mason sand (what they call silica sand) costs me about $8.00 / 100 LB bag. What I have now runs about 1.65 / 60 LB bag. I think that part of our problem is that we are sanding on about 1/2" snow that has been tracked down but not bladed. Everyone (my accounts) that I talk to only want sand no salt. Ha Ha and no we arn't trying to turn it into a beach. We're putting down this much just in order to tell that we were even there.
  4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Right now I have only been able to find pretty fine sand that is bagged

You basically answered your problem with this statement that you made.

Hunt down and find courser sand.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You don't have to sand it until you can see it. Get out and have a look, its there. Sand doesn't go away like salt so after you have made a few applications there will always be sand underneath so you no longer have to put down as much. You are going to have one hugh pile in the spring!

HOLLYWOOD Member

WHY are you bagged sand and no bulk.
  7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I am using bagged sand because of the lack of facilities or equiptment to handle bulk. I got some bulk dumped into the back of the pickup loose and it is quite a bit coarser (actoully has some small rock in it.) I hate to have to fill the spreader with a shovel every time though.
  8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

well for what u paided for the tailgate sander u could have bought a real nice used full size unit.Bought a brand new airflo ss 2yrd $3099.00
  9. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Where do you have the feedgate adjusted too???

There is a T bad just over the conveyor motor. There is four setting. That is what will controll your feedrate. If the material is very thin I would close it all the way to limit the rate.

Never having used SAND only I am not sure what effect this really give as a de-icer. But as someone else mentioned what about the clean up in the spring. Who is responsiable for that and when the ice melt and leaves all this sand that too is a slip hazzard waiting to happen if it is as fine as you say.

I service 12 gas stations and I know what kind of ice pack you can end up with real fast. If I did not use any salt I would never be able to get clean to pavement. After all that is what the goal is, correct? I would think that ICE PACK not properly treated will led to a huge liabilty for the contractor. Sand only is not intended to be a means of Ice Management.

I would not want any account like this ever. Sounds like way too much risk and not a very clear understanding of the meaning Ice Management by either party involved. IMHO Sand only on anything other than a very high traveled roadway is just stupid.

Good luck with the Spreader
  10. all seasons

all seasons Member

bad choice

i too bought a tail gate spreader with the intension of sanding my accounts,the first chance i got to use it was a real let down.the spreader i have was designed with salt in mind but paperwork also says or similar aggregate.it turns out that sand works fine as long as its 100% dry and free to flow.well I'm not about to pay for bagged sand,you wont make any money that way unless the customer pays that high price,and the bulk sand i have is too large an amount to dry the whole pile.i even went as far as to install a vibrator system works OK with sand and salt mix but still has to be as dry as possible.to make a long story short i took the tailgate sander off and my 8ft bed sander is on the way,lesson learned.
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I could never understand New Englands fascination with sanding. Heck you guys in NE even call a salt spreader a "sander"!!

Here in PA, no one is satisfied until the lot is BLACK. And any traction aid put down only makes for a messy Spring cleanup.

Could you try cinders? Small stone chips?
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why would we do that?

No, there is no Spring cleanup. Everything I have is gravel or hardpack. Sand just blends right in.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

To give better traction than costlier sand.
  14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I would like to point out that I am one New Englander who does NOT use Sand. Straight treated salt only. Last year was great, no sand to clean up in the spring.
  15. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Here we also call it a sander because it would be to expensive to import salt. The fine sand will also keep snow from sticking if put down before it snows but that would be a waste here.
    If you are putting it down on snow then I would suggest a 50/50 mix of course sand and small "P" rock 3/8"- on ice go with the coarsest sand you can find. as for spring cleanup, if you don't offer that service then you are loosing money and a lot of it. I make over $20,000 a year only on spring cleanup and then resell the sand/rock mix for fill.
    I used a tailgate sander once about 20 years ago. fed it from the back of a 5 yd dump truck with someone else driving. That lasted about 10 minutes till I found it easer to broadcast the sand with the shovel bypassing the sander.

Do you make a profit on the sand? you should, at least 30% most higher, some as high as 200% plus your time.

As long as you bill before the price gets to high (like every other week) chances they will not complain about the amount you use.

By the way sand alone will go farther then the rock only or rock mix but not do as good a job in pack snow. use sand on ice and rock in snow.

this is just my opinion and the way I have been doing it for over 20 years others and other situations may warrant different methods.
  16. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

All our contracts are straight salt they love it.Your not tracking sand into all the stores or buildings
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just got back from call for sanding a private road -
    7/10 mile.
    Material cost $15.
    Over 400% profit (including the fuel etc).
    I've been sanding this particular road for three years. It has a couple of very steep hills and one pretty nasty curve. It takes 1/2 yard of sand/salt and gives very good results. If it didn't, I would definitely hear about it. When I get done, his wife had better be able to get in and out without any problem with her 2wd SUV.

And I just got an email from another lady I sanded for who couldn't get up the hill on her road. She thinks it's "wonderful".

Now why would I want to do anything different? I wouldn't even know where to get enough cinders.
  18. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I average about 20 50lb bags of rock salt per acre of parking area...
  19. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I'm still wondering what Holly has to do with it. :p
  20. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Call a local pit.. and mix it with salt a bit. Bagged stuff isn't even made for sanding commercial use (says so on the package usually).