1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hollowing out a catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dfor, Sep 7, 2003.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

With the way my truck is running I think the catalytic converter is becoming plugged. I need to bring it to midas or someplace to have it checked. If it is the cat;

Are there many mechanics that are willing to hollow it out?
    How long does it take?
    Or am I better off just getting a new one. (boy are they expensive)

My state doesn't require emisions to be tested on any truck over 8500 gvrw.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Convertors are pretty cheap now,especially the universal ones.You can put a test pipe in place of the convertor to road test the vehicle to see if performance improves.If it does,then just replace it with a convertor.

Not many places will want to punch it out,unless it's for diagnosis only.You could do it yourself to test it.It will sound funny with the convertor punched out,as it acts as a resonance chamber.

You can buy a cheap universal convertor for less than $100.00

3. dfor

Thanks wyldman. First I'll have it checked. Good to know that there are universal converters. I thought I'd have to go with stock, at $300-400.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

fine for tampering with emission equipment

$25000.00 OR 6MONTHS in jail with a very lonely hair man

cardoctor

:nono: :nono:

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

From what I understand, what the inside of the converter is made of, you arent supposed to breathe that crap in. So whoever does the punch out on it, should be wearing some sort of dustmask on his face. If you say they dont test emmissions where you are located, then I guess you can legally punch it out and drive it around. Around here, god help ya if you get caught punching out someones converter or running a straight pipe in place of a converter on any vehicle that is supposed to have a converter on it. What kind of vehicle are we talking about here anyway? Year, make, model, and motor size. Mike

6. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Hey Chris
    I can only find uni-cats for around 180 bucks. If you have a source i'd like to find out. I need a set for my sons car. Dual exhaust and mods. You know the routine:)

Mike

7. dfor

It's a 1998 GMC K-2500 5.7 350. IF it is the cat, I'll just get a universal one. Sounds like a better way to go than punching it out. Thanks for leading me down the right path.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

dfor - you will have to switch to the older stle y-pipe,as yours has an integral convertor.Take a look under it and you'll see what I mean.

There was another thread in this discussion forum on how to diagnose the convertor,and the part numbers for the older y-pipe retrofit.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Plow Dak - most all of our suppliers carry universal cats around here for $70-100.00,and that's Canadian funds,so I would assume they would be cheaper in the US.Maybe try a web search,and see what all you come up with.

If you don't find anything,I'll gladly ship you 2 from here. :D

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

How many miles on your truck? Kind of hard to see that a 1998 truck would need a converter already. Is your check engine light on? My truck is a 1992 with over 100k miles and the converter is still original. I bet I would feel an increase in power though if it was chopped out, its probably partially/mostly clogged with that many miles and considering the age also. Mike

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

my 98 dodge 3/4 v8 cat is bad

rattle all the time in gear

im under warranty
    8-80,000

typical chrysler product

cazrdoctor

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mike - you probably have the older style pellet convertor,which never plug up.The exhaust gases only pass over the beads,or pellets in the convertor bed,and not through them,so there is no,or very little restriction.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

JC Whitney has them for 89.95.Not a bad price.Made by Catco,they are good quality too.I have used many,and no problem.All cats have a mandatory 5 year emission warranty.

JC Whitney universal cats

Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You sure you dont have 2 cats? I think its true duals with 2 cats into a muffler with a single out of the muffler.

Good luck finding a shop to woller out one. Dont have any friends with welders to gut it for you? bit far from me otherwise I'd offer to hack on it ;)

I think that emmision stuff is supposed to be warantied for 100k....is it? Check the owners manual.....it might still be in waranty.

Why do you think its the cat? check engin light on? most of the time it will throw a code since the rear 02 sensors will pick up the failure. And btw on 02 sensors.....gutting the cat will probably **** off the rear ones and cause it to turn on the service engin soon light. its no biggy though....the sensors after the cats are just there to make sure the cat is ok, it will probably throw a code if you dont put o2 simulators in there but it wont hurt anything.

15. dfor

The truck just turned 101,000 miles. The engine runs and idles fine. But when I give it any more than about 25% of the pedal, the truck just boggs down. Been doing this for about 3 months now, and seems to be getting worse. About 600 miles ago (2 weeks) I put in 1/2 bottle of Chevron Techron to about 34 gallons of gas. Last friday the truck started to run pretty darn good. Took right off. Thats when the check engine light comes on (when it starts running good). Code 131 & 151. Both 02 sensors before the cat. Drove it Sunday and it wasn't so good. Today it was so so. I can't figure it out. I'll have Midas check the cat and go from there.

ps- just climed under there and it looks like I have 2 cats. wyldman, I guess thats why you say I'll need a y-pipe.

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Wyldman, the converter on my truck looks like the big flat kind, like a pancake sort of. Is this the kind you are talking about also? Dfor, I bet Wyldman can tell you what those codes mean when he gets here, hang loose. :D Mike

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not sure in the US,but most emission stuff is 5 yr/50000,with 8 yr/80000 on the computer.Cats are usually 5/50K.

It could also be a fuel pump going bad.It may just pay to have someone check it out top to bottom before you shell out for a cat,or cats.

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

You do have the pellet style convertor Mike.They didn't go to the honeycomb style until 94 or so.

I tried looking up those codes,but no jive.He should have an OBD-II system,so the trouble codes would be like P0131,or P0151,but they are not valid codes.Maybe he can update us on the codes.

19. dfor

I had an Autozone check the codes.
    Haynes manual says;

PO131 O2/HO2 sensor signal voltage low
    PO151 HO2S circuit low voltage Bank 2, sensor 1

20. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Thanks wyldman
    Definately the info I needed. Never even thought about J.C.
    Mike