1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday surcharge?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Laszlo Almasi, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Out of curiosity, how do you guys do billing charges on holidays? Let’s say Christmas day or the like. I'm not concerned with New Years Day or Valentine’s Day (although my lady might object to missing the latter) but the major holidays was my question. Just looking for a little input from you guys.
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Are your services worth more on holidays??

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It is winter.

It snows.

You plow it.

Doesn't matter what day of the week or holiday.

End of story.

Pass the salt Toby.
  4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Holiday surcharge!?! Seriously, I'm just happy to plow. Pick another day to celebrate your holiday. Working holidays really sucks but I'd rather work than not.
  5. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Consider it like this, if you charge extra to plow on holidays and there are many others that dont charge for holidays, chances are your customers will go find the ones that dont charge extra so its really a question of what others are charging in your area. Make some calls and act like a customer to find out
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think that's kinda an under the table thing. I mean, it comes with the territory. We get plenty of other days off in the winter. Last winter I was on vacation with the fam over Christmas, but had to fly back early. Yea it kinda sucked, but the money was nice!
  7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Easy on the Popcorn Crete...You starting to Bulk up with all the popcorn you have been eating lately.....:nod:

Surcharge.....Cant even get the customer to pay you the True Value of the services we perform...Tack on a surcharge...They will tell you to hit the road...:eek:
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How much more @ hour then normal do you think everybody else working on Christmas day is working? Particularly the guys driving the state, county, township, city, etc, trucks
  9. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

No extra charge for holidays from me. If it's snowing, I'm working and I'm glad to be doing it.
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

My Brother drives for the County....Christmas Day-New Years Day = Double Time.....
  11. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Last year we didn't call the guys in and several of my family pitched in to knock out some apartment walks before opening gifts.
    It's not always about the $$, we enjoyed our day much more knowing all those people could get out safely.
  12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Plus, at least the lots aren't full of cars on christmas morning!!!!!!
    it's like a free bonus.

holiday bonus? :laughing:
    Are you employed by the government????????????
  13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyday is the same price for me, but I do pay a tidy little bonus to employees on the holidays. Less money in my pocket on those days, but I feel better knowing they make a little extra since I am dragging them away from family time.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

This is why governments are broke!!!!!!!!
  15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, to take this post serious: Agreed, it's winter and snows, you plow.... But I will some years give the guys a little bonus on christmas. My bonus is that the commercial lots are empty and easy to deal with.
  16. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok my 2 cents worth here im just a one man show-- if i charged extra , everybody would tell me take a hike, Ive had a few good customers in the past who through in a little extra just because i did show up on a holiday--- like said before the DOT boys here get double time
  17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What are you guys plowing that has to be done on Christmas?
  18. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

resi's, apartments, restaurants (some), grocery stores (open here partial day) industrial places that are open 7 days a week, running 2 or 3 shifts, movie theatres
    I've gotten hit two thanksgivings and a Christmas eve day.
    Christmas eve day sucked!!!!!!!!!!! everyone is everywhere, in a short temper (love that Christmas spirit:rolleyes:) and cars are everywhere.
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We plow a Chinese Mall and it's open 365 days a year and Christmas day is it's busiest day of the year. Also chinese food restaurants, video stores, convienence stores and a few drug stores are open. I prey it doesn't snow on xmas because alot of our guys are away visiting family. I'd prefer if it doesn't snow on New Years either.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Dunkin Donuts never closes!!