1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

holiday storm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowpro, Dec 21, 2012.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

All this talk about the holidays I'm surprised no one asked this question
    If a storm hits on a holiday and you have to go out and plow do any of you charge more because of the holiday or do just keep it normal and how do you tell them its gonna b more money.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on what time it snows on Christmas,I might pay the business to go out so I can get away from screaming kids!
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have any kids but I have 8 nieces and nephews here this christmas, I might do my route and cover yours off for you.

TJSNOW Senior Member

You do what your contracted to do...........Thumbs Up
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Just another day.......
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Back.when I was an hourly employee we would get double time on Christmas eve/ day and new years eve/day. Only happened once on Christmas that I can recall but there were a few new years storms. Now that I'm a sub for the same guy I just get my regular rate but he generally buys at the bar afterward.
  7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I can't even imagine wanting more money to plow on Christmas. I'm sure some of the guys that work for me would want it, but we could never present that argument to customers.
  8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

No....Why would you?
  9. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

No I wouldn't but I was just wondering cause I knew someone who did one time it was at my grandmothers house and I forget which holiday it was it snowed on probably Xmas some plow guy was driving around and he said its double cause I have to come out on a holiday. I told him to go scratch I said I didn't make it snow on a holiday.
  10. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I always figured I should charge extra for plowing on Valentines day...because working through that "holiday" always cost me dearly...for weeks.
  11. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

1-4" for Christmas eve into Christmas day, couldn't ask for anything more
  12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I bring my wife with me on that day and make her shovel....
  13. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Once it got to the point where we'd make plans and I'd slip up and say out loud "I hope it snows," I figured it wasn't meant to last, I was right.
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When it snows we go.....
  15. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I have been plowing since 1980, and can only remember once when we went out on Christmas day for a storm. It is part of the cost of being in business for yourself. For employees, a bonus is given, but for the owner and the clients, its just another storm.
  16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

all our stores are closed by 8pm christmas eve...machines are parked till am after christmas even if it is a 2am start!
  17. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I plowed once on new years eve and I charge the same no matter what day it is. But most of my customers ether gave me more money or they came out with cookies or something to eat. Thumbs Up
  18. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Price is the same no matter what day. I have only one comm account open and thats at 4pm on christmas day. As for the driveways they will get done as needed starting with my doctors homes. My higher end clients seem to always tip on holidays$$$.
  19. dirtyscag

dirtyscag Senior Member

Its just another day and the contracts dont care about holidays
  20. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

Our customers get what they want no matter what day it is. The wife might be mad. But that's part of the plowing business. We go when it snows.