1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Holiday Premiums ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xlr8, Dec 31, 2005.

1. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

I was just wondering if anyone out there charges more to plow or salt on a holiday?
    Here in CT this year it snowed on Thanksgiving and now it is snowing on New Years eve.
    I know the town plowers are making the big bucks when this happens. The other two storms this year were on Sundays and I know that is double time for them never mind a holiday (double time and a half I think).
    So does anyone else charge more for a holiday? Or is it just the states and towns?
  2. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I was thinking of adding this as a note to invoices for the next year. A holiday is a holiday and everyone else gets it off or gets extra pay so why not us- especially when employees get extra and also helps to get them to the jobs.
  3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Nope we don't charge any more than usual. Unlike most people we pride ourselves in sticking to our pre-set per trip price and don't add any surcharges or extras to the price unless we do extra work..
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Would you like to pay more for a gallon of gas just because it's a holiday? How about if you run to the store for a gallon of milk and an extra can of olives for Thanksgiving, would you like to pay a premium price because it's a holiday. Say your mom's car breaks down on the way to your house, or your car breaks down on the way to hers (or any other relative or friend), would you like the wrecker driver to say. "Oh, by the way, you will be paying this much more today, because it's a holiday. And if one of your loved ones goes in to the hospital for something, ...well, ... I won't even go there.
    Bottom line is, it's the nature of the business.
  5. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I give my guys a bonus at the end of the day for holidays, It might be 100 or 200 for drivers and 50 to 100 for everyone else. Without them we have no company. But I do not charge the customers extra. To take an employee away from there family on special days is hard. I am out there with them also....
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

We charge a premium for xmas eve , xmas day , new years eve and day . Because the drivers have plans to be with families. Call the guy to come out on these days and repair your furnace , or evenings or weekends and they charge overtime .
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't because it is luck of the draw. Not like they asked for it. It would be nice but I don't need the associated headaches.
  8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I dont think its fair to charge more for holidays. But A few years ago My Dad had a furnace guy come out on Christmas night and charged 240.00 for a new nozel .
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No. Either you plow or you dont. I can see some situations/businesses where this is justified but for the most part I call it price gouging.
  10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well said, there may even be laws against this practice, but i could be wrong.....Rob
  11. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

The customer doens't have any control over what the weather does. I think this is just a personal preferance issue.

I also think it makes for better customer relations and return customers. Don't think they don't know that your out on the holiday taking care of business as promised. They'll remember it come next year.
  12. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies ,I don't do it either was just wondering if anyone else does. Steve
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

nope, our customers have no control over the weather- neither do we or it would be snowing a LOT more.

BTW Tow drivers DO get more on a holiday- all of them around here do anyway- they're all closed and on call- there's an on call surcharge added.
  14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you plow a business that charges a premium for holiday work, be it a HVAC repairman then charge that business more if it does snow on a holiday. only seems fair. if my furnace breaks on a holiday i have no control over it. :)
  15. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I don't charge extra for holidays, after hours, shift premium, etc. The furnace guys do, but no one likes it. Keep in mind that our service is based on a snow event that could come anytime in a day.. if you want to be in the biz, you got to work the hours that the weather says.
  16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats funny.

I don't charge extra either. This is one of those things you just build into your price in the first place, kinda like the PITA clause.
  17. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Most businesses are closed on Holidays! Technically they won't need a push as fast as if it was a normal working day! I would pay my guys a little something extra for coming out on a Holiday, but I would not charge the customer!Like I said in wouldn't be a priority to open them up as quick! Let the Snow Flow Mo!:salute:
  18. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I'm sure they will just say well we are closed so plow me out monday.

Bottom line to find out if you are charging too much.....Put it in your contract that you will charge double ect and if your market will bear it then your not charging too much. Charge what your market will bear.
  19. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well Ive worked for two tow companies in the past and neither or any in my area that I know of charge a Holiday premium. And owning a small repair shop I'm still in daily contact with the local tow outfits.

If we are supposed to charge more for working on the Holiday then why don't we charge more for plowing while its snowing. Lets get real here people. Does the paper boy charge more for working on a Holiday? We do a repeat service and it is out of line to charge more just because its a Holiday. The furnace guy isn't a repeat type of service like we are. If it was a one shot kind of deal then maybe. But usually we know far enough in advance when we have to work. Do what your gonna do but I simply don't swing that way.....Rob
  20. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Holiday premium? No friggin way. I went into this knowing that one can not depend on the weather. It was my choice to decide to plow in the winter and the price I gave my customers is final. It was my choice to do this and in making my choice, I went into it knowing that it may be Mon-Fri, weekends, and or holidays, or even every day of the week. IMO, anyone choosing to do this type of work, depending on the weather, needs to realize that they are at the call of Mother Nature and their clents.