1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hole in the gas tank

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by captbo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

my plow truck is a 1992 Bronco,, some how I seem to have a hole in my gas tank,, so looks like I am having to pull it before the next snowfall, Tuesday,, any pointers???

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Where's the hole and how big?

3. z400

z400 Member

Someone tapped into your **** and stole your gas?!

4. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Depending on how big it is, I have fixed small holes with self tapping screws and/or JB cold weld, this was all on diesel fuel tanks and not gas (don't know if gasoline would hinder the JB from working), but it works both on poly and metal.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Is Bronco rust? Then replaced with poly gas tank.

They rot easy because under skid hold snow and salt in it.

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Not any tips but did you notice the needle moving drivng down the road?

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Depends on where the leak is.Like Milwaukee said they tend to rust out under the straps. Once you pull the straps loose from the tank you will have many leaks. Been there, had it happen! X3. Tanks are fairly cheap $120 or so. Replace the straps if they are rusted bad. Grease the channels they go in heavy with grease and the strap on the tank side. Use extra long bolts (4-5 inches) to draw the straps tight. Then zip them off with an air cut off or hack saw. Be VERY careful when you take the sender / level plate out of the tank. Use a wood, plastic or brass tool to drive the retainer ring off.(they will not cause a spark) Replace the filter sock on the fuel pump. Some radiator shops fix gas tank leaks. Just depends on where it is.

8. ajslands

I have a 38 gAllon plastic tank does that mean it would be cheaper?

9. Milwaukee

?

try understand. you say fuel gauge aren't accurate? Then replace sender they are expensive.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your lucky if your tank is plastic. If it actually is plastic. My repair manual says my 99's tank is plastic. Ohh really, did they wrap the tank in steel, that is now rusted?

11. ajslands

It's plastic i had a very good look at it when I was wiring my salt spreadEr

12. Milwaukee

You shouldn't be worry about that.

For me I do need replaced 2 tanks on 95 F250 they are pretty rusty that I feel it ready to pop leak anytime.

13. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

when you do gas tanks on an older Ford Trucks , plan on replacing the tank straps and the metal ring that holds in the fuel sender. Both can be gotten at the dealer.