1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hole in my plow!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by padec21, Jan 6, 2009.

1. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

I just noticed today there is alot of rust/rot along the top edge of my plow. up underneath the snow foil. One spot is clear through. About the size of a quarter. Is this normal. The plow is a 7 1/2 RD MM1 that came on my truck. can this be easily filled with welding. I plan on doing the whole plow over this summer. Sanding the whole thing and repainting replacing etc. Is rust common? is rot common?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

rust

yea man it's the gift that keep's giving ,kinda like death and taxe's .:salute:

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It just means that it's just getting broken in...not a problem until you can fit your whole head through it :D

4. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I had the same thing except the hole was just above the top of the cutting edge center. Stated to grind, chip etc. to find it was going to be a tremendous amount of work. I really needed to remove the skin from the frame and form a new one in there.

I ended up scrapping it for $130 and bought a brand new one for $970

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Seriously though, if your lucky you might get a couple more seasons out of it. Just carefully check all the welds and mount points, especially the sector & A frame, if it's well used those pivot points tends to get stretched out and will break when you need it the most. I've seen guys re-skin sometimes, but I have mixed thoughts on whether or not it's worth it. Post some good pics and maybe you'll get some better answers as to the best way to go.

6. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Yea,

depends on how much you count on it.

If you're like me, you have too many customers who need you to plow.

I didn't want to take the chance of stuffing a piston through a moldboard at the beginning of a storm.

7. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I see alot of guys with the rust starting to put holes in the plow. Make sure though that the plow is still strong by the hydraulic arms. That where you will have the worst problems. You don't want anything starting there. You might notice that the snow is not rolling off the plow like it used to. Other than that you should be fine.

8. 1bohica

1bohica Junior Member
    from MA

try craigslist for another plow....people get sick of them fast after they find out how much fun it is. you can use an older model blade (non MM1) and just swap mounts, just be sure piston arm mounts are same on blade