1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HOA's Problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scottscape, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

So I've got the biggest problem with HOA'S. I try to treat people fairly but I have a business to run.

So I call this HOA asking if they've recieved an invoice today. Get a voicemail back saying "that they received an invoice last week" and the treasurer previously mailed out a check for $500, I'm thinking this check is from our December snows.. (I've sent 3 invoices out for 3 different occurences this month alone). They're account balance due as of today is $745.00.

The guy secondly said on the voicemail that they do not want us to plow for the rest of the year (We have a contract with an early term. fee of $150.00 and is to be paid within 5 days of early term), he added that the assco. is way over budget for snow this year. Hell, last year they didn't see us until Jan. 21'st

I don't play these games with people, I have bills to pay, equipment to maintain and employees and when someone tells us not to plow that cuts them out of the route which we could have filled in with a potential all season customer.
  2. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

So whats the question? They terminated the contract. Charge them the $150 and be done w/ them.
    It sucks but at least you got the early term. fee in your contract.
    My other thought is : What the heck, they're over budget so they're just gonna stop plowing services? Thats one of the more stupid things I've ever heard. Are they maybe thinkin' they're gonna get rid of you and find some low baller to get by?
    We've got plenty of season left.
  3. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

We'll I think you might have hit it right on the nail. There was another assco. that we did one occurence for after a larger company than us supposedly didn't show up, which is very unlikely for them and I somewhat don't believe it. We'll that assco. that was referred to us by the 1st assco. (they're right next to eachother). Well the one that we did one occurence for called us up after the first storm of the year and said that the company they hired didn't show and they needed us for the following day. being that it sounded like a great contract i went over, bid it, got the contract signed all in that evening that they called. took care of it the next day. well after that we didn't see a check for a few weeks and another storm pops up and the morning that its getting ready to snow we're getting ready to drop a skidsteer off at the location and we recieve a call from the 2nd HOA telling us they they're not sure they can afford anymore snow (hell this is the 3rd one of the season and the 2nd one that they would be paying for) so I told this what the contract was and that was that and unfortunately we didn't accumulate anything that morning. So i faxed them a letter of cancellation due to them not having a budget and stating that i was going to wave the $150 term fee., got payed for the first occurence.

Then one of my guys goes over to plow our originally contracted HOA and sees some guy in a pos plowing the other hoa roadways and driveways.

He might have lowballed our HOA.

The whole point of this thread dont plow for a HOA. Most of the time they can't even afford it. This is the 3rd one this season that has budget issues
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Luckily, I don't have any HOA's. Problem is you always have some jerk in the crowd that wants to be a smart guy, and even if you've given 'em great service for quite a few years, comes up w/ the brite idea "hey, let's bid this sucker every year and we can get the best price from each newbie every year"
    I've seen it time & time again and not just w/ HOA's
    Only way to head it off (mid season cancellations) is to make that early term. fee pretty stiff.
  5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Let it snow, then count to 100 and go to your phone and wait for it to ring. HOA's live base on budgets, however this cat has forgottent that he may want to terminate PAYING for snow but he will likely GET more snow..........he'll call:salute: