1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfdsuperduty, Dec 11, 2009.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Ok I got a call today from an HOA to do take care of 205 units so it totals 410 driveways all the walks and roadways within the subdivision. I already informed them that due to the season already starting the only way I am taking it is one they pay a retainer fee and two they sign a one year contract and they were fine with that. I then asked the reason for the call after the season has already started they informed me that the guy they originally contracted with didn't show up at all the last ice/snow storm. How are most of you figuring prices for this type of account? I don't need a dollar amount I can figure that out on my own since I am not going to post what my overhead is just curious how to word it in the contract is it per drive, sq. ft. etc... I have a price per sq. ft. for my commercial lots but this is the first large HOA that I will be taking on. This is a gated community where the lowest price unit is about $400k so needless to say they want everything done in other words 0 tolerance any help would be greatly appreciated.:help::help::help::help:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Uh what are you going to use? You will need 6 pieces of equipment just for the drives and something for the walks. Alittle vague on spicifics but usually they tell you how they want it bid. This place must be huge
  3. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Got overhead pictures of the place. Can you get trucks in all of these areas or will you be needing skids or tractors in there?
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You should be able to get this done with one truck, two skids, a sidewalk machine, and six laborers... just kept a similar sized one very happy through the 9" we just got with 40 mph winds lasting 12-14 hours.
  5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

make sure they have a snow removal budget!
  6. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I did ask them for a bid sheet and he told me that they didn't have one. I have a price in mind and big acres I was at about the same amount of equip and laborers as what you stated except I was off by 1 I am figuring in for 7 laborers. Bids are due Monday since they don't have another contractor in place. I ended up putting the bid together using the overall sq. ft. of the property. Thanks for your suggestions guys and good luck to everyone this year.
  7. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

If they do not have a bid sheet, make a proposal that includes every service (Roads, drives, walks, salt, calcium, relocation of piles, etc). Make sure you have every thing covered on your end. That way if they don't need something you the price will go down opposed to up if you bid with a service missing. Bid it with the thought that you are going to have 410 bosses scrutinizing your work all year.
  8. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

They didn't tell you how thye wanted you to bid? per push, seasonally. per sq. ft. or hourly? Seems like they went with lowest bid and got burned or were unrealistic as to what was to be done. Add that into the bid and as DSLL said Bid it with the thought that you are going to have 410 bosses scrutinizing your work all year. Good luck