1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hoa

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by dodgegmc1213, Aug 12, 2015.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I want to know what other people would bid this place at. we got our number just trying to compare. once I see what everyone is at ill say what they actually been paying.

this is a 48 home HOA which includes all driveways, sidewalks, parking areas and of course roads. quite a bit of shovel work around the sidewalks going to the driveways and around the garages. 1 skid steer with a plow or pusher and an operator. skid steer can clear 90% of the driveway. 4 sidewalk guys, 2 blowers and a few shovels. bulk salt on driveways, parking and road, calcium chloride on the walks. 4 mail boxes and 5 fire hydrants. truck will come by from time to time to check on things and help if needed otherwise just salt or fuel the skid.

110,306 sq ft, all pavement (driveways, parking and road)
    18,802 sq ft in side walks

this picture was taken in 2013, all the buildings on the right are completely done driveways and all. unfortunately google earth wont let me go to street view or else I would show all the shovel work needing to be done.

also this area averages around 38" and I believe an average of 15 events.
    thanks

overlook.jpg

2. dodgegmc1213

for got to add needs to include a price for sweeping come spring time

3. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

5000 a month.

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

how many hours u think and how much material are u basing it upon
    Do you have to go back next day for driveway not cleared due to cars

5. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

do they want seasonal , per push, or per inch, whats the trigger to start plowing, maybe you can sign them to a multi year deal, sell some seal coating to (say pennies now or thousands later) You really gotta crunch the numbers with this one. But over all seems like a nice job to have

6. dodgegmc1213

hours to complete the job, no clue. if I had to guess with 2-4 inches maybe 2-3 hours. clearing the road will take no time, clearing majority of the driveway with the machine maybe 30mins to an hour. most time consuming part is the shoveling, maybe 10-15mins per building, maybe 30-45mins on the big stretch of sidewalks with blowers, longer with just shovels.
    we base guys on 100 hours a season.
    just straight salt for everything including sidewalks I figured 2 yards per storm no pretreat. so around 30-40 tons in the season give or take. I never figured out the calcium chloride.
    im pretty sure you would have to go back to clean up where cars were parked (driveways or parking). even tho a site we did last year with all the driveways we just had the shovel guys shovel around the cars, this way we only needed to clean up the parking areas

7. dodgegmc1213

seasonal, they never said a trigger but we mainly start plowing at 2 inches and work throughout the storm...as far as sealing goes that wont be for a while, their still building and the top coat of blacktop isn't there.

so forgot to mention that whatever drains there is, is sticking up but there all along the curb, 2 or 3 man hole covers are sticking up in the middle of the road and the curb between the driveways and road is higher.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Based upon your numbers
    4 shovelers $40 an hour $16000
    Skid $15,000
    40 tons salt $10000
    Calcium $7000
    Operator $4500
    Truck w salter just salt and clean up $6000
    Those are my # based upon 100 hours

9. dodgegmc1213

thank you ponyboy. you pay shovelers $40 an hour??? are you hiring??? lol

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

No $20 I bill out $40
    Operators get $35 I bill out $55

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

With the truck pt it's hard so those are #
    When I bid I based upon 10 storms under 10 inches in my contracts
    1 inch gets salt only anything over gets plowed and a salting counts as a plow in contract to help even out the bigger storms over 6 inches
    And over 10 inches I count as 1 storm and bill extra per inch over 10.1 inches and if out of contract because they went over 10 storms it's that same pre determined amount per site for total snow fall accumulation
    Some how it works for me and my customers

12. dodgegmc1213

so we told the property manager $34k for the season.
    ill break it down.
    4 shovelers at $15 an hour + $10 to make something off of them at 100 hours = $10,000
    2 operators (skid and truck) at $20 an hour + the $10 at 100 hours = $6,000
    rental of a track skid steer is $1,800 a month + 5 months = $9,000
    35 tons of salt at what we was paying at the end of last year $185 = $6,475
    so that totals to $31,475 then the difference my father added to it for odds and ends.
    now the 35 tons of salt included the sidewalks so the difference in what we would actually need should hopefully cover the calcium, again idk I never calculated calcium pellets before. also if we get cheaper salt that'll help out

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I can't find shovlers for $15 any more nor drivers at $20 also no cat told me $2200 a month for a 650 cat was $1600 a month 50 hours a month and $31 an hour over 200 hours
    Why track we only run tire
    Where is your profit and your over head
    Also fuel which is over head

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Calcium is around $15 a bag central irragation sells treated rock salt mixed with Calcium $9 a bag
    I haven't had any issues any where with that
    Also you should be $100-$110 for salt delivered
    Did you call CM today

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Can't you guess on my condo bid

16. dodgegmc1213

well there wont be any profit period after what they told us they been paying.

$17k!!!

now that's ridiculous, now she wants us to go lower some how. only way we can match that price is with just a truck/driver and 1 shoveler.

a local tool rental sent me the contract/quote for a CAT 257 TRACK SKID STEER LOADER, $1800 every 4 weeks and $35/hour over 200 hours. I prefer track, I ran tire skids and it was ok at times..all depending on the conditions I guess..they said the tire skid was around $1250 per month last year, which is a smaller machine I believe.

no I haven't called yet I was travel to Chicago today for a little vacation...well its for my parents 25th anniversary but a vacation to me lol

17. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

So I guess my bid is out
    Last year were all building occupied and did it just wait till storm is over

18. dodgegmc1213

I have no clue who did it, what they used or how they did it. She asked us 6 questions.

1 how is the price calculated?
    2 what is the most difficult part of the job?
    3 how can the cost be reduced-what are your suggestions?
    4 how will the snow be removed from the sidewalks-shovel or snow blower?
    5 what type of ice melt will be used on the walkways?
    6 what type of ice melt will be used on the roads?

I answered them the best I could and sent to my dad, up to him what he wants to do

19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Not owning a skid, and doing walks by hand/blowers is what's killing you. At least in my opinion. I still can't figure out how people are able to win bids and make any money renting machines.

Here's my numbers on hours for work, apply your hourly rate to each one. 2-4 inches of snow.
    Plowing: 2 hours (.75 hour truck, 1.25 skid)
    Walks 2 hours (Ventrac with broom/blower depending on snow) or 2 hours (with 2 walk behind blowers)
    Salt 1750 pounds
    Calcium 350 pounds

I'd figure an hour per storm of recall cleanup.

If it were here I'd do it for 17K.

20. dodgegmc1213

Well even if we didn't need a skid we'll still be over 17k. Alot of companies around here rent skids. Ventrac would be nice but we have no use for them in the summer and could only be used on the main walks still need blowers and shovels around the building walks and garages