1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HOA want bid, Friend already has

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dailylc, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

While clearing my church lot yesterday, the VP of an HOA asked me if I would be interested in bidding their maintenance contract(lawn, landscape,irrigation and snow removal) I was excited at first until I found out that a friend of mine has been doing it for the last year. The VP indicated they thought that maybe my buddy had some health issues and they were looking for a replacement. (There are no he health issues) The VP called me back today and left a message wanting me to come out this week a bid the property. The problem I have is, I helped my friend bid the property last year when he got the contract and I don't want to step on any toes. I told the VP yesterday that I knew there current contractor and I did'nt want to just come in a bid it unless they were not getting quality service. He said the service was good, they just think his health might be in question. I'm going to talk with my buddy this week about the situation. This would be an excellent contract. What would you do?

2. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Sounds like they are looking for a cheaper price. They never figured you would know the current guy and probably thought it was a legitimate sounding reason for fishing.
    How good a buddy?
    Do you need the $$$ more than your buddy?
    Talk to your friend, maybe it's a pain in the butt account, possible he doesn't even want it.

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the HOA is involved with the Mob and maybe they are going to break his legs or something. lol just kidding.

Talk with him. Not cool to steal the account if he is happy with it. On the other hand, the HOA will probably get someone else. Either for health reasons, price or poor quality.

I would have your buddy contact them with a new contract for this year and see what they say. You contact them afterward and see if they still say for health reasons. If they do, then they are lieing and have another reason. If they don't accept his contract, then I would bid it at the same cost as your buddy.

Let us know what your buddy says.

4. prostock07

prostock07 Junior Member

i'd bid it a little high, then sub it to my buddy as long as his quality is there. explain to him they came to you. if you don't bid it you both could lose it.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

HOA's are a PIA X 1000

6. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Basically all he is doing is looking for a lower price. He probably gets a percentage of whatever he saves the HOA. All of them around here go out for bid every year. Maybe like prostock said you would be better off bidding together.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Business is business and friends are friends.

Keep the 2 separate.

A church has many contacts within and word of mouth is a mofo.

They requested something you as a business man provide.

Give a honest bid and let the chips fall where they may.

They are asking for a reason and by saying they think it is a health issue is a nice way of saying they are not happy with him.

Think of your future as a business man before thinking of the future of a drinking buddy.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agree with Reaper. Your friend might wind up losing the account whether you bid on it or not, anyway. It's nice to have friends, but I'd rather have money to buy groceries and pay bills.

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Bid it anyway! Business is business, they called you for a quote go in and give them your honest price. If you get your buddy needs to understand they came to you.

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I'd agree w/ that!
    IF you still get it then your making money payup and your "buddy" still has the job:angel:. Make sure you have a clause that you MAY subcontract work.

11. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I talked with my buddy about the situation and he understood my concerns. He will understand if he looses the account, because he knows my bid will be a little higher than what he is doing it for and if they are willing to pay more than so be it. The reason I did not want to step on his toes is because he passes on services that he does not perform himself, and I would like to keep it that way. Thanks to all that have posted your thoughts.
    James

12. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Good job. I think you did the right thing by talking to him, and you'll keep a business buddy in the process.
    :nod:

13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

A friend of mine has a large company with about 3 lots for snow removal. I can get the contract no problem because my brother works there. Would give me an additional $10K on a average snowfall season. I'm not bidding it because he is my friend and does the job fine.:waving:

14. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Do you know how much he gets paid for the services?

Yes - bid the same amount. They will go to you if they are not happy with the services, and probably won't if they are just looking for lower prices.

No - bid what you would suggest for the property services. Your friend should understand the buisness and find a way to compete with other people in there area. Maybe he could come to you for advice.
    You could sub-contract the work to him if he needs the money.