1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HOA Subdivision bid. "MICHIGAN"

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by firelwn82, Oct 31, 2014.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I have been in the snow business for 11 years as an owner operator, This year I have been asked to estimate several different HOA/Subdivisions for plowing and salting the roadways. My question is, What is the best way to estimate these roadways? By the lane mile or by the hour?

Are my calculations correct?

If the roadway is a typical 22 feet wide and I'm pushing with a 10 foot blade angled It would typically take 3 swipes on each side. So for each mile it would in turn be 6 miles. My other question would be what should a typical price be for a lane mile? My price per hour is $85, 1 mile would take about 2-3 minutes-ish. So for each lane mile I'm thinking it would cost about $18 to plow and $30 to salt. Am I on track or way out of WACK?

Thank you in advance for any info.

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

So....3 passes per lane mile, how do you come up with 2-3 minutes? Are you plowing at 120- 180 mph?

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

60 mph to do one mile at three passes to complete in 3 minutes.

If the road is 22 wide a 10ft blade wouldn't need 6 passes

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. Mr.Markus

Double it for the 6 pass mile. Still at 60 mph that's a decent speed to plow at...lol.

5. firelwn82

Sorry.. What I ment is 2-3 min per pass.. Not the entire road mile..

6. firelwn82

A 10 foot blade angled is only 9 feet.. So technically speaking it would be 2 passes and a clean up pass.. So 2 and a tid bit.. :drinkup:

7. Mr.Markus

I think I knew that that's what you meant, just trying to figure out your formula. If you're $85 /hr divide by 60 is $1.42 per min. x 9 min per lane mile is $12.78 / lane mile

8. 160SR

160SR Junior Member
    from nh

How many miles are we talking about?
    P/A plow or fixed right angle?
    One big loop or cul-de-sacs?
    Intersectons?
    Shelfing?
    Paved roads or gravel?
    It adds up fast ( time wise ).