1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hoa must use plastic plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Theshoemaker, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

I'm looking at a HOA Bid packet and it states " contractor to use plastic bladed snow plow" I don't know what to make of it. Another funny thing is, they specify all drives are to be plowed with an atv?? And small pick-ups must plow cul-de-sacs. But on equipment list, it wants to know how many "commercial" pick-up trucks and what size plow equipment. This might be a little too "bossy" for me.:eek:
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like they want to "sound" like they know what they are talking about but have no clue.
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Sounds like they have concrete, stamped concrete, or paver surfaces that need to be plowed.. I've ran into the "plastic bladed plow" thing before.
  5. Theshoemaker

did u end up plowing it??
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we have a stamped concrete/paver surface on a condo, we used a skidsteer with a broom, cost more to them, but they were anal about it so they didn't mind paying
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is this a first year HOA that never had a bid for snow?
  8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Instead of calling it a plastic bladed plow, why don't you call it by it's proper name; poly cutting edge. :D

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

This is a prime example of a place that you can educate and stand out from the rest.
    Show them about a urathane cutting edge or the rubber edge. Ask why they have specified such things... did they have problems in the past ect ect. Sell them on no problems, no worries, seasonal.
  10. Theshoemaker

No, they have been around for about 10 years.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Perhaps in the past they have had a contractor trying to use a dually dump to do the entire job. Improper equipment will do a inferior job. I agree with MIDTOWM PC educate the customer. show him the types of equipment you will be using, include the installation of a rubber or poly blade in your preseason preparations and show it to them (if only pictures.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe the first question is why?
  13. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Many years ago i had an 22 Driveway and roadway HOA that all the driveways were Brick pavers...The contract stated that all the drives had to be plowed with a Rubber cutting edge plow..You know what i did...I outfitted one of my trucks with a rubber cutting edge...Job payed Real Well.....payup
  14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Language is huge when dealing with HOAs. Wanna shot at the job (you know what they want) speak their language win the bid and impress them...when you've earned their trust...educate them. When you help them write the next bid/contract you have your ace in the hole.
  15. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

We plow for a nun retirement home that has crazy expensive paver parking lots that we have to broom carry off. Rubber edges would also work and maybe be better but would only be used for that job.
  16. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

(ON A Side Note) My Mom worked in a convent in the food service several yrs. ago, and you wouldn't believe the oppulant life-style those Nuns live even though they say they pledge to live in poverty. Not trying to be negative, just an observation. Maybe the goal would be to get their contracts.
  17. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Plowanight it might be the same place. Its the catholic version of a hospice house. Its funny most people say nuns really settle down after they retire.
  18. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

sounds like a pia to me.
  19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

In part of my last comment, how large is this property?

This is excactly what I did with my first HOA. The following spring they approached me saying they didnt want to loose me and offered a 3 yr contract. Nuff said.